Cossack uniforms or 'colors of the rainbow'

About Cossack uniforms or 'colors of the rainbow'

International Military Forums > Military Discussion Forums > Military Videos and Pictures Forum
User Name
Password

June 21st, 2011   #1
Prapor

Cossack uniforms or 'colors of the rainbow' info

When the Tsars ruled Russia, we Cossacks had very strict guidelines on uniforms we wore. In fact, there was a Color Code.

My people, Terekians, wore Blue and White. Kubanians (those guys on the Ukrainian border) - Red And Black. Don Cossacks dressed in Blue and Red. Ural/Yaik host had Green and Yellow. Siberia was Green + Blue.

Today, as Russian Cossack society is still rebuilding itself from decades of Soviet rule and repression, the issue of uniforms is becoming a hot debate once again. Because we still don't have a common leadership, we also don't have strict standards on uniforms either. People, basically, wear what they like.

For example, these are Cossacks of the 'Orenburg Host' (which unites Cossack communities in Orenburg, Kurgan, and Chelyabinsk oblasts and is a part of the greater Ural/Yaik Cossack Host/Army):

But, so are these

Then there is this Don Cossack family near Voronezh

and this one in Novocherkassk

Older, more distinguished Cossacks dress in more traditional ways. They remember the Color Code, and other rules.

These are the men we learn from. God bless the elders, hope they'll be with us a long, long time.

Anyway, one has to look at culture also. Kubanian and Terekian Cossacks, of course, are more Caucasianized. We, in centures we've lived in North Caucasus, have mixed with Circassians of all sorts, Ossetians, Chechens, all different kinds of Dagestanis. That is why there one would see Cossacks in traditional Caucasian dress, like cherkeska (long, coat-like jacket of sorts, something we borrowed from, as name suggests, Cherkesy, Circassians), papakha hats, and burka (sleeveless outer 'coat' made from wolf or sheep skin. Invented by Chechens)

In this picture, the girl wears a burka, usually, men do (most women dislike them, they look 'ugly'. But, it keeps one warm at night, in the steppe )

Last edited by tomtom22; June 25th, 2011 at 02:11..

--
June 21st, 2011   #2
Prapor

On the Don, on the other hand, they are more Russian/Slav/European. Hence, you see more dress shirts, or military parade-style jackets

Many, like these young cadets

wear Tsarist-era uniforms.

Some Cossacks use camouflage, for a more modern look, I guess

Some I simply do not recognize altogether, some **** they must have thrown together themselves, with no historic or cultural basis

Looks okay though. And it is not like anyone wants to come up to this man and tell him face to face his uniform is wrong lol

This fellow in Siberia is trying to be Chapayev, I guess

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Chapayev

A Red, and not even a real Cossack, but, a good man though, great fighter. I guess I can get respecting him.

To me, most interesting thing is when different Cossacks and their colors mix together. Like, on the New Year episode of this match-making TV show we here, 'Davai Pozhenimsya' ('Lets get Married'), where they have one groom and three brides or one bride and three grooms competing for him/her. On this episode, first time ever, was a Cossack bride, 18 year old Ulyana, from Sochi (Kuban). All grooms were Cossack also, our women do not marry outside their ethnic group ever. Eventually, she chose 20 year old Pavel, a Terekian Cossack from Stavropolsky krai (over loud objections of her father, who wanted her to go with Ilya, who was a Kubanian, like them. But, Terek wins again hahaha We are bigger men then all others, in all ways )

Note the Red + White of Kuban and the Black & Blue of Terek.

I guess what I wonder is, what colors will their children have to wear??? The whole damn rainbow... .

Last edited by tomtom22; June 25th, 2011 at 02:15..

June 21st, 2011   #3
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prapor

Looks okay though. And it is not like anyone wants to come up to this man and tell him face to face his uniform is wrong lol
Yeah I would give it a go as he looks like he would have a coronary after about 3 swings, smoking, over weight and the heavy drinker facial expression lead me to think that I would at least have a fighting or running chance.

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire 1694-1778

June 21st, 2011   #4
A Can of Man

Great posts again!
Never before have I learned so much about the Cossack people.

June 21st, 2011   #5
Prapor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Yeah I would give it a go as he looks like he would have a coronary after about 3 swings, smoking, over weight and the heavy drinker facial expression lead me to think that I would at least have a fighting or running chance.

True that, smoking is a big problem for us. Alcohol is not so much, we don't drink like Russians do, we are religious and all. But tobacco is still popular, because many are unaware of its harmful effects.

Though, many Cossacks prefer pipes to cigarettes

I heard it's healthier. Don't know, I don't smoke at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Can of Man
Great posts again!
Never before have I learned so much about the Cossack people.
Happy to educate the world about my people In Russia at least, there are many misunderstandings and misconceptions and deliberate lies and slander being spread about us. Someone has to go around debunking those.

June 22nd, 2011   #6
headwards

What do you mean people don't know about its harmful effects? Like they ignore warnings or there aren't any?

June 22nd, 2011   #7
84RFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwards
What do you mean people don't know about its harmful effects? Like they ignore warnings or there aren't any?
Maybe it's simply that they, as a "warrior tribe", don't expect to live long enough to suffer from the harmfull effect of smoking?

June 22nd, 2011   #8
Prapor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RFK
Maybe it's simply that they, as a "warrior tribe", don't expect to live long enough to suffer from the harmfull effect of smoking?
Well, on foreign cigarette brands, they have warnings.

Like on Marlboro

'Smoking is bad for your health'

But Cossacks don't smoke American cigarettes lol In fact, Cossacks do not smoke foreign cigarettes, period. Only domestic, patriots that we are.

Donskoi Tabak is most popular brand, made on the Don river, on Cossack land, for Cossacks

Only recently they started putting health warnings on those.

Other well used brands are

Zodiak

Belomorkanal

Yava

Pamir

etc.

They are all poorer quality than Western stuff, and as you can see, most have no warning labels of any sort...

June 22nd, 2011   #9
headwards

Dont knock plain ciggy packs man when i'm soaked in a harbour a brew and a smoke is the best. It kind of takes away from it when you have to look at some corroded up body part as you puff away with your thoughts. You can't escape anti smoking propaganda here, even alcohol is getting taxed ridiculously. Our government is very politically correct and controlling.

June 22nd, 2011   #10
84RFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwards
Dont knock plain ciggy packs man when i'm soaked in a harbour a brew and a smoke is the best. It kind of takes away from it when you have to look at some corroded up body part as you puff away with your thoughts. You can't escape anti smoking propaganda here, even alcohol is getting taxed ridiculously. Our government is very politically correct and controlling.
Even worse here, taxed in absurdium, only reason the government haven't outlawed alcohol and tobacco is that they will loose the income on it then...