Can you make a silencer from plastic bottle? -

Read more about Well first i want to tell you that im not planing to make a silencer so save me from the lectures,im asking this because i saw it in a movie(on deadly ground wi

Military Medals Store

International Military Forums > >

User Name
Password

September 6th, 2009   #1
Zajcef

Can you make a silencer from plastic bottle? info

Well first i want to tell you that im not planing to make a silencer so save me from the lectures,im asking this because i saw it in a movie(on deadly ground with Steven Seagal)and its killing me a long time....

So is it possible to make a silencer from a plastic bottle and is it safe for the user?
Does it work with bigger calibers like 7,62 or 9mm or just .22?

Semper etiam ubique superiores

Last edited by DTop; September 13th, 2009 at 21:31..

September 6th, 2009   #2
Bror Jace

I remember seeing a kit (decades ago) that would allow you to mount a 2-liter plastic bottle on the end of guns like the Ingraham MAC-10 or MAC-11.

I can't see how these would be unsafe. The bullet should be able to pass through the plastic if the parts are not made/attached properly. At worst these units would melt to the barrel ... or merely be blown off the gun end of the gun.

The enemy of stealth with a fired round is speed (velocity). So, lower velocity rounds such as .22 rimfire or pistol rounds are best.

High speed rounds such as 5.56mm, 7.62mm (NATO) and .50 BMG are the hardest to quiet down.

--- Bror Jace

September 6th, 2009   #3
George

149 gr 9mm are usually subsonic.

September 7th, 2009   #4
wolfen

Yes you can, but its only good for one shot and it doesn't silence sound as good as you see on tv, also it will only muffle the sound from certain gun, a 9mm might be a little more quiet than a 38, but a 45 is gonna let everybody know what you just did.

Oh btw a 7.62 is gonna go through the bottom of the bottle like it wasn't even there,

September 7th, 2009   #5
Chief Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen
Yes you can, but its only good for one shot and it doesn't silence sound as good as you see on tv, also it will only muffle the sound from certain gun, a 9mm might be a little more quiet than a 38, but a 45 is gonna let everybody know what you just did.

Oh btw a 7.62 is gonna go through the bottom of the bottle like it wasn't even there,
I agree with Wolfy ....... while you derive a small amount of silencing with a pop bottle, the noise will still give you away.

September 7th, 2009   #6
A Can of Man

Heck even dedicated suppressed weapons have more noise than most people think.

September 7th, 2009   #7
Zastava-Arms

Arent there some pistols which when fired only make a small clicking noise?

I know theres a KGB pistol like that, I cant remember the name though.

September 7th, 2009   #8
A Can of Man

Apparently the Mark 23 (SOCOM) pistol is incredibly quiet because you can lock the slide so it doesn't move when you fire.

September 7th, 2009   #9
Zastava-Arms

The point is, you dont have to be completely silent to be silent.

If that made sense.

September 7th, 2009   #10
senojekips

You can make a suppressor for a 240mm howitzer out of cotton candy if you have enough of it. The question is, how much suppression do you need and how practical is the method.

I would seriously suggest that you forget about plastic bottles as silencers or suppressors. I've seen what happens to a suppressor for a 5.56mm made out of a heavy aluminium torch casing. The owner now has a very badly disfigured upper arm and a loss of 60% in use, as well as a sprinkling of small scars on his forehead, several near his left eye.

"I am totally responsible for what I write,... however I cannot be held responsible for your complete inability to understand"

Last edited by senojekips; September 7th, 2009 at 14:00..

Tags
bottle, make, plastic, safe, silencer