Camo question

-- Dusty

I have been thinking of painting my truck camo.

Now this gets kinda sticky. Let me explain-
I found that when I paint my truck camo (as I have done before), cops get nervous. Hell dude, it's just a steenking paint job! Olive drab is one of my favorite colors! Always has been since I was a little kid!

Well, I served, though no where near as long as I wish. I have a DD214, not like that means anything. But I have been pulled over before because of a truck I had back then that had a camo paint job. July 2001, for example. Held at gun point for an hour while the sheriff's deputy demanded that I let him search my truck. He found the camo pattern suspicious and asked literally "how do I know you're not a terrorist?" DUH!

Well, it seems that cops had me targeted because of the camo paint job, and people in general were nervous as hell when I was around. Even though I never id anything to ause this, other than a simple paint job.

A paint job, that I like, that I enjoyed doing myself.

Well, now I'm coming to you guys. What are your views on truck paint jobs? Is the public concern just? If so, please explain. Is law enforcement concern just? If so, please explain.

And the next time it happens, what should I do? What would you do?
I discussed this with a buddy that was a seal many many years back, and he said **** them and if all else fails tape a edited copy of my 214 to my back window with a "finger" icon next to it.

I don't know is my biggest problem.

Ideas? Advice?

I have been thinking of painting my truck camo.

Now this gets kinda sticky. Let me explain-
I found that when I paint my truck camo (as I have done before), cops get nervous. Hell dude, it's just a steenking paint job! Olive drab is one of my favorite colors! Always has been since I was a little kid!

Well, I served, though no where near as long as I wish. I have a DD214, not like that means anything. But I have been pulled over before because of a truck I had back then that had a camo paint job. July 2001, for example. Held at gun point for an hour while the sheriff's deputy demanded that I let him search my truck. He found the camo pattern suspicious and asked literally "how do I know you're not a terrorist?" DUH!

Well, it seems that cops had me targeted because of the camo paint job, and people in general were nervous as hell when I was around. Even though I never id anything to ause this, other than a simple paint job.

A paint job, that I like, that I enjoyed doing myself.

Well, now I'm coming to you guys. What are your views on truck paint jobs? Is the public concern just? If so, please explain. Is law enforcement concern just? If so, please explain.

And the next time it happens, what should I do? What would you do?
I discussed this with a buddy that was a seal many many years back, and he said **** them and if all else fails tape a edited copy of my 214 to my back window with a "finger" icon next to it.

I don't know is my biggest problem.

Ideas? Advice?

Personally I quite like some cammo paint jobs, especially the desert cammo. In UK and Germany we use to paint our Land Rovers and Bedford and AEC trucks matte green and matte black to break up the outline. The black which was supposedly an anti infra red paint, was sprayed all over the vehicle first then the matte green "stripes" added last. See the AEC 10 tonner on my avtar

As for law enforcement not liking cammo, a chap in the UK had an ex Pink Panther SAS Land Rover complete with deactivated GPMG's and dummy ammunition belts, he was forever being pulled over by the cops.

Civilians on the road use to give him a wide berth, where kids hanging out car windows usually shouted "WOWOWOWOW COOOOOOOL"

There are a few people who collect ex military vehicles in the UK, usually WW2, but some collect latter types such as the Pink Panther mentioned above.

A neighbour of mine here is South Africa has painted his old series 3 Land Rover 109 with black and white zebra stripes, which looks bloody rediculous.

If you like painting your truck cammo go for it.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I will. Not sure the pattern. My Nissan had grey primer, OD base, with black. Just OD & black. Hmmm. Wondering....

And since 9/11 & the current war I'm wondering how weird people are gonna get.

Dunno where you live.......but in my area there are alot of camo trucks. From surplus CUCV's , to self painted jobs to custom painted real tree and mossy oak trucks.

I've never used it as reasonable suspicion to intiate a traffic stop. I have stopped them for violations and since most of the guys are hunters been aware that there might be weapons in the vehicle.

They only time I might use it as resonable suspicion for a stop is at night near anhydrous ammonia tanks (precursor for Meth and often stolen) or working a poaching call (our Convservation Agent can seldom be bothered). Maybe working a rash of burglaries in a rural area. Lets face it camo is made to blend in. These are are some scenerios where that might be helpful. But then again I'd contact a vehicle of any color.

Don't really see the issue. Camo it up if you want.

Dunno where you live.......but in my area there are alot of camo trucks. From surplus CUCV's , to self painted jobs to custom painted real tree and mossy oak trucks.
Usually I had no problem in the past. But there were a few times I was wondering if it was worth the hassle. Mostly ign'ernt dickwads and most of the ign'ernt were cops.

I've never used it as reasonable suspicion to intiate a traffic stop. I have stopped them for violations and since most of the guys are hunters been aware that there might be weapons in the vehicle.
Safety concern is always a good idea in your line of work.

They only time I might use it as resonable suspicion for a stop is at night near anhydrous ammonia tanks (precursor for Meth and often stolen) or working a poaching call (our Convservation Agent can seldom be bothered).
You sure as heck best be concerned! Of course I was raised in a small farming community, and the deputies always knew who had what in their fields. Back when I owned land, some of the stupidest crap the sheriff's deputies pulled annoyed me to no end.

Maybe working a rash of burglaries in a rural area. Lets face it camo is made to blend in. These are are some scenerios where that might be helpful. But then again I'd contact a vehicle of any color.
Good!

Don't really see the issue. Camo it up if you want.
I am thinking pretty much that I will. I still have concerns, but, well, I dunno.

Here you go Hmmm, I found this on another forum. Not exactly camo, but it's an attention getter. This is the doing of a few Cav guys, for their Iraqi counterparts. This would certainly grab attention, there and here.

1235362082453.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, to get this back on track (since AB Shorts is jealous that I have such a hot thread)....

A few questions.
1. If a cop gives you crap over it, what do you do and what do you suggest I do?
2. If anyone else gives you crap over it, what do you do and what do you suggest I do?

Back years ago I didn't care. Give me crap and I got a ball bat. Now I'm older.

Ok, to get this back on track (since AB Shorts is jealous that I have such a hot thread)....

A few questions.
1. If a cop gives you crap over it, what do you do and what do you suggest I do?
2. If anyone else gives you crap over it, what do you do and what do you suggest I do?

I'm loving your "hot thread" :cheers: :angel:

My thoughts on your questions...

1.) What do you consider "a cop giving you crap"? can you give an example of what you are thinking?

2.) I would tell anyone to be respectful of the cop. Most likely, he/she is just doing their job. If there is a real problem, go through the chain of command in reporting the situation. You could also write a letter to the editor of the local newspaper (for that cop) and get media involved...

Like I've said before, they act really suspicious and get totally weird over it.

As for "anyone else", like I said, I have a ball bat. Never got that far, just mentioning it works.

There are a lot of camo trucks around here... but I'm in Indiana :)! I even saw one that was "wall-papered" camo. I didn't care for that one...

Could it be where you live that causes the camo pattern to stand out?

A few questions.

1.) I doubt a cop is going to give you any crap. And if they do, just follow what he says. But, chance's are they won't do anything. There are no laws against painting a vehicle camo, and unless your doing less than savvy activites, your be fine. Besides cops don't have a monopoly on camo, if anyong did it would be the military.

2.) Someone else gives you crap, just ignore them. It's not their car and it's none of their business.

Last edited:
Actually, still thinking on it. My truck is a full size, so getting the stuff to do it with won't be cheap. In the past I've done well with rattle-can jobs, and I'll likely do it again.

Just gotta think about it first.

Back