Cable Company going out of business... forcing me to go to DISH Network

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Right now I have Bellsouth Americast Cable which is owned by AT&T. I just received in the mail a letter from AT&T stating that on June 23rd they will stop the cable service. THey are offering me the chance to go with AT&T DISH network.

I guess AT&T is now a service provider for DISH Network. I have never DISH Network or Direct TV so I'm as new to this as anyone else. I've been a cable man my whole life.

So what does DISH network offer and do I need a set top box for each TV to receive a single? AT&T states that they will install the dish and service up to four TVs. Now I've also heard that DISH Network has a set top box that can be worked by two TVs at once. How does that work?

Anyone here use DISH Network?

I have been using Satellite TV for about 20 years in the UK and find that it is okay. Picture quality is okay but it can be affected by heavy storms. Installation, well at times it is free under some promotional scheme and other times there is a charge.

Hey, Pixie how does that work?

I have four TVs in my house. So how would I do it. I have them in four separate rooms. Does the remote need to be in line of sight of the set top box? Or does it work through radio signals like a Xbox 360 Controller?

Also what about watching different shows on the two different TVs from one box?

Just make sure it's not really windy near you. If it is windy, it will never work. I live in MO and we have a ton of wind and rain. It worked maybe 40% of the time for us. Just not worth the money for me.

I have four TVs in my house. So how would I do it. I have them in four separate rooms. Does the remote need to be in line of sight of the set top box?

Also what about watching different shows on the two different TVs from one box?
If you have four T.V.'s and you want them all hooked up you will have to buy another box set. (At least, that is what we did). And I believe the channels can be different while on the same (pair) of boxes.

The remote needs to be in line of sigh of whatever the people set up for you.

I'm not technical. I just listen to what they tell me. And they told me to point it towards the T.V. :oops:

Or does it work through radio signals like a Xbox 360 Controller?
I have no idea.

I have Dish and I hate with a passion. The service is shoddy, and everytime a breeze comes up we lose service for a bit. Several of my friends have DirecTV and they love it. *shrug* But that's just my two cents. :)

I've had DISH and DirectTV. Six of one half dozen of the other. Although I do like Directs programing packages better. I had DISH thru Southwest Bell before AT&T bought them out. Main problem I had was they wouldn't always bill every month so if didn't stay on top of it you'd end up getting double billed the next month. Haven't had that problem with Direct. I have had service problems though and their response at times has been less than stellar.

As far as the receivers go. They will install four. But you pay like an extra 5.00 a month for each additional receiver in addition to your programming package and service charges.

If you want to watch more than one program you need the additional receivers. If your running all your TV's off the single receiver they will only pick up the channel that the receiver is tuned to. So if your watching the ball game everyone is watching the ball game. Unless each TV has it's own receiver.

The remotes are just like any other remote. It's line of sight to the receiver.

The newer style dishes don't lose signal as much. It's really got to be raining or snowing (not a problem for you) hard for me to lose signal.

What do you need telly for when you built a gun for your lady-friend? Just keep the telly switched off and shoot off some rounds... any rounds for that matter :)

I use to have Direct TV growing up as a kid and I loved it--mainly the interface and layout of it all. Then for some reason we had to switch to Dish...although it "look" as nice...the quality was a lot better. Especially during those crazy thunderstorms.

I had Direct TV for years and switched to DISH about 6 years ago. No problems with wind, very few with reception in storms. I like it.
Their box will control two TV's and you can watch and record different programs at the same time. Their version of Tivo has more hours of storage than I can use.

Back