Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
USA Today
January 22, 2007
Pg. 1
USA Today Interview

But president says no to timetables
By David Jackson, USA Today
WASHINGTON — President Bush can't guarantee that all U.S. troops will be out of Iraq by the end of his presidency because "we don't set timetables," and said the war on terrorism will remain a "long struggle" for his successors, he told USA TODAY in an interview.
Bush believes Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki can clamp down on sectarian violence, and he warned Iran not to aid Iraqi insurgents. Bush's comments came in a wide-ranging chat Friday to preview his State of the Union speech, in which he'll argue "what happens in Iraq matters to your security here at home."
The president said he'll use Tuesday's speech to assuage skeptics in both parties about his new Iraq plan, which includes a boost in U.S. troop levels by 21,500.
"The best way to convince them that this makes sense is to implement it and show them that it works," Bush said in the 27-minute Oval Office interview.
Asked whether Iraq would be a problem after he leaves office in January 2009, Bush said: "The war on terror will be a problem for the next president. Presidents after me will be confronting … an enemy that would like to strike the United States again."
He also vowed not to let Iraq interfere with "big domestic issues" such as health care and education.
The fallout from Iraq has hurt Bush's Republican Party. The GOP lost control of Congress in the November elections, and 2008 presidential hopefuls such as Arizona Sen. John McCain, a supporter of an increase in U.S. troops, could be affected.
Tuesday's speech comes about two weeks after Bush unveiled his new Iraq plan. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and some Republicans, such as Nebraska Sen. Chuck Hagel, oppose troop increases.
Bush said the goal in Iraq is to have Iraqis take charge of their own security. Citing the recommendations of the bipartisan Iraq Study Group, Bush said, "We need to be in a position where the Iraqis are in the lead."
Bush said he supports al-Maliki because the Iraqi leader has followed through to provide Iraqi troops and crack down on violent militants in Baghdad. "Those are two areas … where he has said he's going to do something, and he's beginning to do it."
The president also repeated his warning to Iran against interfering in Iraq. Asked whether the United States is headed toward a military confrontation with Iraq's neighbor, Bush said, "If we catch the Iranians moving weapons into the country that harms our troops or Iraqi troops, we will deal with it."
Bush said he did not believe his focus on Iraq has derailed his domestic agenda. Among his State of the Union proposals:
*Tax breaks for health insurance.
*Flexibility in education standards.
*Alternatives to oil, as a way to reduce "greenhouse gas" emissions.
Pondering legacy is left to others
WASHINGTON — President Bush talked to USA TODAY's White House reporter David Jackson in advance of Tuesday's State of the Union address. The interview included this exchange about Bush's legacy.
Q: Did you see The Washington Post historical forum on your legacy? One of the historians, Eric Foner, called you the worst president ever.
A: No, I didn't see it.
Q: Is that something that bothers you?
A: My legacy will be written long after I'm president.
Q: I know you're a fan of history, though. Do you see yourself as a possible Truman?
A: I've got two years to be president. I guess people with idle time like yourself can think about this. I've got a job to do, and I'm going to do it.
Q: Have you read about Lyndon Johnson in Vietnam?
A: Yes.
Q: Do you draw any lessons from that?
A: Yes, win. Win, when you're in a battle for the security … if it has to do with the security of your country, you win.
Q: Are you worried about suffering LBJ's fate?
A: You can ask the legacy question 20 different ways. I've got a job to do as president. People are going to analyze my presidency for a long time.
All you can do is do the best you can, make decisions based upon principles and lead. And that's what I have done and will continue to do.

Back