Bugis Street and the Shemale

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Those of you who knew Singapore in the 1960's would know Bugis Street which was (in)famous as a drinking hole and where ladies of the night (and men dressed as ladies) plied their trade.

A DRUNK young serviceman was bartering with a man dressed as a woman for a good time. The serviceman thought he/she/it was female.

I shouted across, “OY MATE THATS A FELLA!” He looked at me with one glazzed eye, the other firmly shut, slurred “Rubbish, I know a man from a woman.” I shrugged and said, “Then go for it.”

Off they staggered with the shemale propping up the young fella when there was one hell of a commotion, shouting and hollering, he had found out that she/he/it was indeed male.

He staggered back and sat at my table, looked at me and asked, “How the hell can you tell the women from the men??”

“Easy” I said, “The ugly ones are the women.”

Last edited:
I've got a photo somewhere.

We took a couple of Aussie WRANS down there when they first arrived in Singas, just before the "Bugen Strasse" was shut down. They were absolutely enthralled,... they didn't say much, but you could see them trying to work out what was real and what wasn't. It was a great way to finish the night.

I've got a photo somewhere.

We took a couple of Aussie WRANS down there when they first arrived in Singas, just before the "Bugen Strasse" was shut down. They were absolutely enthralled,... they didn't say much, but you could see them trying to work out what was real and what wasn't. It was a great way to finish the night.

LOL, It was a real eye opener.

I've added a couple of pics, not mine I might add lol.

Last edited:
Then there was the dance of the flaming A@#$hole. A piece of paper stuck in a mans bum and set on fire, then seeing how long he could dance before his bum got burned.

Usually carried out by drunk Aussie or RN matelots. Highly amusing. lol

They tend to congregate up the top end of Orchard Road now. At a shopping centre nicknamed 4 floors of whores.
Very popular with young Aussie ADF members!

They tend to congregate up the top end of Orchard Road now. At a shopping centre nicknamed 4 floors of whores.
Very popular with young Aussie ADF members!

If I remember correctly, at the top of Orchard Road was the Hotel Singapura and the Hotel Malyasia. At the top of the road itself was a traffic roundabout/traffic circle, turning left took you to the Tanglin detention centre.

Going down Orchard Road was the Tropicana night club, and the Fosters Steak House. Fosters also had a hotel in the Cameron Highlands just north of KL.

wow, I cannot be going senile, I remembered all of that without help lol.

haha amazing.
I lived in Singapore for a few months as a kid. Obviously I had no clue about that sort of stuff. Seems like harbors just go hand in hand with whores.

Well..as my first NCOIC said when I was going to Thailand...watch out for the ladies that had high collars or looked good..because those were the men dressed as women.

I still remember in Holland...picking a shemale up by accident...and after finding out before anything physical happened actually asked her/him where all the good spots were and hired him/her as a guide (and body guard) to amsterdam. it was worth it.

This was due to her/him/ was about six feet tall...extra large for a transweety...:-D

Fosters also had a hotel in the Cameron Highlands just north of KL.

wow, I cannot be going senile, I remembered all of that without help lol.
It was at Bukit Fraser, (Fraser's hill). The RN had a R+R camp there, it was cool, quiet and vastly different to Singapore. The locals treated you as guests, membership to all local clubs was free. There was no Pub, but there were, Tennis, golf and football clubs that served alcohol and very cheap and well prepared food. Tea was at 1600 and was taken quite seriously, with all the club sandwiches and hot scones etc. You'd be surprised how many "Ruff Tuff" servicemen scoffed at it at first, but ended up sitting quietly with the locals, discussing the day, sipping tea and taking "tiffin"

It was nothing for a local Mum to ask a passing serviceman to watch her kids while she was shopping. It really civilised us, whenever movies were on at the camp, the locals would all roll up with their kids and home cooked food. I always said the locals were more "British" than many of the real Brits.

Now that was something really "different" and everyone behaved themselves and still had a great time.

Last edited:
It was at Bukit Fraser, (Fraser's hill). The RN had a R+R camp there, it was cool, quiet and vastly different to Singapore. The locals treated you as guests, membership to all local clubs was free. There was no Pub, but there were, Tennis, golf and football clubs that served alcohol and very cheap and well prepared food. Tea was at 1600 and was taken quite seriously, with all the club sandwiches and hot scones etc. You'd be surprised how many "Ruff Tuff" servicemen scoffed at it at first, but ended up sitting quietly with the locals, discussing the day, sipping tea and taking "tiffin"

It was nothing for a local Mum to ask a passing serviceman to watch her kids while she was shopping. It really civilised us, whenever movies were on at the camp, the locals would all roll up with their kids and home cooked food. I always said the locals were more "British" than many of the real Brits.

Now that was something really "different" and everyone behaved themselves and still had a great time.

It certainly was a lot cooler up in the Cameron Highlands. Fosters Hotel was more like an English Lodge with oak beams, roaring fire in the lounge and as you say, tea and scones, visited the local tea plantations, it was an amazing experiece.

I played my first round of golf there, my score was fiddled by only counting the times I actually hit the ball.

Remember the road up to the Highlands, hundreds of hairpin bends? A buddy of mine in the TA whom I met years later, took a 4 tonner full of Ghurka's up to the Highlands, he reckoned that about half way up they were all throwing up.

One of the most vidid memories I have of the drive up, we stopped at a tea house. There was the most amazing beautiful butterflys I have ever seen in my life, sadly they were all pinned to a board behind glass.

Did you visit the snake temple on Penang?

It certainly was a lot cooler up in the Cameron Highlands. Fosters Hotel was more like an English Lodge with oak beams, roaring fire in the lounge and as you say, tea and scones, visited the local tea plantations, it was an amazing experiece.

I played my first round of golf there, my score was fiddled by only counting the times I actually hit the ball.

Remember the road up to the Highlands, hundreds of hairpin bends? A buddy of mine in the TA whom I met years later, took a 4 tonner full of Ghurka's up to the Highlands, he reckoned that about half way up they were all throwing up.

One of the most vidid memories I have of the drive up, we stopped at a tea house. There was the most amazing beautiful butterflys I have ever seen in my life, sadly they were all pinned to a board behind glass.

Did you visit the snake temple on Penang?
I never got to Penang, but I do have vivid memories of that road up the mountains in the back of a truck load of blokes that had spent all the previous night boozing on the train up from JB to KL. In particular I remember one of the blokes trying to wave back a white Mercedes Benz that was tailgaiting us, before it was sprayed with used Carlsberg. They missed most of it fortunately.

The wife of the RN Lieut Commander who ran the place was an avid butterly collector and had several display cases on show. We saw plenty of very brightly coloured specimens, but have no idea as to whether they were valuable or not.

We all had little jobs to do in the mornings, mine was to feed and excercise a geriatric pony named Arkle, but better known as "Pete the pony". He was far too old and undersized to ride so my exercising was limited to a walk down to the village where I'd let him nibble the grass in the care of the local kids while I had a beer and a bite, than a liesurely walk back to the camp.

Back