Britain rules the waves! NOT!

sven hassell

Yesterday was 2 weeks almost to my sons 18th birthday.Full of pride and he full of excitement we walked down to the local Naval recruiting office.
This is how the conversation went:
Me:Good morning
Rec(Recruiting officer):Good morning how can I help you.
Me:My son here nearly 18 is interested in joining the navy.
Rec:Hmm! Well you do realise there is a 2 year waiting list.
My son:WHAT!
Rec:Weve got no ships anymore you see.Theres not much point applying.
Me:Well surely theres some position avalable.
Rec:(Rolls eyes up)Well whats he interested in?
My son:(now annoyed hes not even being acknowledged)I want to work on submarines,failing that any position on a ship that would earn me naughtical skills for later life in getting work on the sea.
Rec:Have you thought about the marines?Are you fit?
My son:Yes im fit but I want a job on a vessel
Rec:There realy isnt much point applying>
Me:WELL SURELY AT THE END OF THIS SO CALLED TWO YEAR WAIT HE'LL BE AT THE FRONT OF THE QUEUE IF HE APPLIES NOW!
Rec:(Rolls eyes again)Well ok! fill in this form if youre really interested.
Hands form-son fills in!
Me:thank you what happens now?
Rec:(Shrugs) Well be in touch -but dont hold your breath!
My son:(gets up)**** this this is b******t!(walks out)

MY son (to me):Dad?
Me:yes
My son:Wheres the nearest R.A.F. recruiting office?

THIS IS ALL TRUE!!!!!!

Thats pretty sad, considering the might of the British Navy about 250-300 years ago.

So, what happened when you two went to the R.A.F Recruiting Office?

Reminds me the old joke "can he swim?" "why? You dont have boats?"

But I think it's fine. Countries have so so many world domination tools, airplanes, tanks, carriers etc...
What is all this crap for? Well, to destroy other tanks, airplanes, carriers etc...

I only believe in infantry. A good rifle, a good anti tank weapon. And a few strong, trained and intelligent men, and there you have it. The perfect defense against invaders...

The rest cost too much. We have better things to do with the funds...

Well I'm not surprised. A majority of the RN's ship's were decommissioned by the Thatcher government. And with the current cuts I don't suppose many more ships will be brought in any time soon (other than the two new aircraft carriers). Though I have seen some new ships being released. I think the navy is trying to restrengthen itself with more ships but, believe it or not, I do think we have the biggest navy in Europe. I believe we still have a treaty where we share it with the Dutch. Scary to see this when you see how little ships we have.

Keep in mind that the economy is still in the shitter world-wide, lots of people are trying to join their nation's military for the reliable pay (which is a bit of a myth), roof over their head, and a warm meal (notice I say warm, not good). Recruiting right now is possibly the simplest job in the military where just four to five years ago they were struggling to fill quotas.

Back