Boot camp

And Marine boot is the hardest of the services (this comes from the guys at ROTC back in college)

I didn't even bother with your link but thats ridiculous and incorrect. Please stop spreading false rumors.

The USMC integrates their non combat MOS(soft skills/pogs/etc) with the meat eaters.

The Army seperates them from the Beginning.

Edge: US ARMY

USMC Bootcamp is 13wks(so they claim) Theres a week in the beginning for inprocessing, and a week at the end for cleaning up/turning your gear in and getting ready for graduation. That brings that down to 11wks. Lets also take away a week for swimming. Thats 10 wks....

The US Armys Infantry OSUT is 13wks 6 days(lets just round to 14)...
so 14wks-17wks based upon the infantry MOS you get.

In USMC bootcamp everyone gets an m16. About 9lbs fully loaded.

In the US Army Infantrys OSUT(one station unit training) you're LUCKY if you get the m16. You see.... we train how we fight. People within your platoon will be assigned the m249 about 23lbs fully loaded.
The real unlucky will be lugging around the M240B(27.6lbs)

USMC bootcamp primarily focuses on Drill and Ceremony. They spend... not sure but a RIDICULOUS amount of time on D&C... they do march better than us though.

The Army says **** D&C. Here's a 5-10min class while we wait for your buddies to get out the PX with their hygiene ****.

Marines PT test consist of(these are the MINIMUM stadards for an 18YO MALE):

3 Pullups or Chinups(your choice. Unlimited time), 53 crunches(2 minutes but they don't do real situps), 27minute 3mile run

Army PT Test consist of(same min requirements for 18yo male)

42 pushups in 2 minutes
53 situps in 2 minutes(actual situps)
2mile in in 15:45

EDGE: ARMY... lets do some more rounding. That means Marines are given 11 MINUTES TO RUN ONE MORE MILE. Once again; are you serious?

USMC Shoots giant bullseye targets 500yards. They don't even have to hit inside the black... they get points for touching the paper. Are you serious? My GRANDMA can WALK that.

Army shoots timed pop up silouhette targets, 300m. Its up anywhere from 2-5seconds depending on the distance. You have to acquire, and hit before it goes down.

Edge: USMC... just based on distance. I think the reaction factor and the smaller target for the Army is harder but Im trying to be fair

Most of your training will come from your unit. Marines still have to go to School of Infantry(the infantry marines because the marines realize that infantrymen NEEd to be seperated from the rest obviously...)

The Army gets you to your unit Faster.

Edge: ARMY

The Marines dreaded "Crucible" a 3 day(54hr) field training exercise where they perform teamwork tasks, ruck marches, and hopefully missions. They were their flick, carry a m16 and from what i've seen on the documentary a ruck. Feel free to correct me Marines

The Armys FTX(even for pogs I believe) is 1week(168hrs) in the field. Includes; ruck marching, being briefed, performing missions with the OPORDs given, etc. Our team building stuff is done earlier on. Our entire kit is worn(molly vest, IBa, ACH, m16/m249/240 were switched out) etc...

Edge: You already know...

seriously USMC bootcamp is NOT the hardest. None of them are "hard". Simply search about military.com or w/e that military website is. They have the attrition rate for each branches basic/bootcamp. Marines have a HIGHER Passing rate than the Army

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/l/blbasicattrit.htm

You have to take all of the Marine comments with a grain of salt battle. The typical civilian and foriegner sucks up every piece of Marine hyperbole they see.

I didn't even bother with your link but thats ridiculous and incorrect. Please stop spreading false rumors.

The USMC integrates their non combat MOS(soft skills/pogs/etc) with the meat eaters.

The Army seperates them from the Beginning.

USMC Bootcamp is 13wks(so they claim) Theres a week in the beginning for inprocessing, and a week at the end for cleaning up/turning your gear in and getting ready for graduation. That brings that down to 11wks. Lets also take away a week for swimming. Thats 10 wks....

In USMC bootcamp everyone gets an m16. About 9lbs fully loaded.

In the US Army Infantrys OSUT(one station unit training) you're LUCKY if you get the m16. You see.... we train how we fight. People within your platoon will be assigned the m249 about 23lbs fully loaded.
The real unlucky will be lugging around the M240B(27.6lbs)

USMC bootcamp primarily focuses on Drill and Ceremony. They spend... not sure but a RIDICULOUS amount of time on D&C... they do march better than us though.

The Army says **** D&C. Here's a 5-10min class while we wait for your buddies to get out the PX with their hygiene ****.

Marines PT test consist of(these are the MINIMUM stadards for an 18YO MALE):

3 Pullups or Chinups(your choice. Unlimited time), 53 crunches(2 minutes but they don't do real situps), 27minute 3mile run

Army PT Test consist of(same min requirements for 18yo male)

42 pushups in 2 minutes
53 situps in 2 minutes(actual situps)
2mile in in 15:45

EDGE: ARMY... lets do some more rounding. That means Marines are given 11 MINUTES TO RUN ONE MORE MILE. Once again; are you serious?

USMC Shoots giant bullseye targets 500yards. They don't even have to hit inside the black... they get points for touching the paper. Are you serious? My GRANDMA can WALK that.

Army shoots timed pop up silouhette targets, 300m. Its up anywhere from 2-5seconds depending on the distance. You have to acquire, and hit before it goes down.

Edge: USMC... just based on distance. I think the reaction factor and the smaller target for the Army is harder but Im trying to be fair

Most of your training will come from your unit. Marines still have to go to School of Infantry(the infantry marines because the marines realize that infantrymen NEEd to be seperated from the rest obviously...)

The Army gets you to your unit Faster.

Edge: ARMY

The Marines dreaded "Crucible" a 3 day(54hr) field training exercise where they perform teamwork tasks, ruck marches, and hopefully missions. They were their flick, carry a m16 and from what i've seen on the documentary a ruck. Feel free to correct me Marines

The Armys FTX(even for pogs I believe) is 1week(168hrs) in the field. Includes; ruck marching, being briefed, performing missions with the OPORDs given, etc. Our team building stuff is done earlier on. Our entire kit is worn(molly vest, IBa, ACH, m16/m249/240 were switched out) etc...

Edge: You already know...

seriously USMC bootcamp is NOT the hardest. None of them are "hard". Simply search about military.com or w/e that military website is. They have the attrition rate for each branches basic/bootcamp. Marines have a HIGHER Passing rate than the Army

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/l/blbasicattrit.htm

Soooooo when you went through both services recruit training.....wait ? What?

Here is the Army Boot Training Schedule, 9 weeks, not 13 like you stated above
http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/basictraining/bct.asp
*Edit* There is 14 week as an option, not all units do that training.

Here is the Marine Schedule, 12 weeks, yes two of those weeks are ceremonies and in-process make sure to read what is done in each training camp.
http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/schedule.asp

I have several good friends that are Marines, just like several that were Army. One Marine is currently serving in Iraq in a K-9 search Unit, I appreciate his service every day. At the same time I have a long time friend who is Army Special Forces and yes his training was harder. But I am specifying Boot Camp on here, not going into individual assignment trainings.

Last edited:
I wanted to add also,
I'm not trying to give any branches a bad name or call anybody a wimp. I apologize if I offended anyone. I just gave this kid the factual Marine site for what the training was gonna be like. It helps to read an actual schedule and to read through the events, than to hear from tons of different personal accounts. Everyone is different. Some think Army was harder, some say Marines is, etc...

I wanted to add also,
I'm not trying to give any branches a bad name or call anybody a wimp. I apologize if I offended anyone. I just gave this kid the factual Marine site for what the training was gonna be like. It helps to read an actual schedule and to read through the events, than to hear from tons of different personal accounts. Everyone is different. Some think Army was harder, some say Marines is, etc...
You ain't hurtin anybody's feelings on here. It is just one big pissing contest regardless of the branch you go in. Look at all branches and pick the one that give you what you want out of it. EVERY singe experience is different no matter if you graduated from boot camp as rack mates it won't be the same. You will know exactly what boot camp is like the day you march on to the grinder and get called a Marine or soldier for the first time. Just be sure you want it before you go. It doesn't matter what others say.

What this kid fails to mention is that US Army OSUT is basic training and AIT combined into one experience. So yes it is longer. Marine grunts go through their boot, 12 weeks, and then they go through the school of infantry...their version of AIT. I WILL say that a Marine getting to his unit is generally better trained than a soldier. That's just a fact. After about 2 years I think it levels out....here's the difference, the Marines have certain mindset that the Army does not have. I'm not saying it's better or worse, it's just different. That's just my two cents. I love and hate Marines...they're cocky yes....but they can back it up in a firefight so they've earned the right. I was honored to serve along side them in Fallujah and Ramadi back in 04.

If I as a foreigner look at USMC and U.S. Army then I see that the mission goals for each service are different, and they accomplish their work in different ways.

Marines are mobile, lightweight, and very rapid. One might compare the Marines to the head of a spear, wedging in to get a foothold and racing ahead once the land has been secured. The US Army, on the other hand, is the primary ground-based military force. As such, the US Army captures and holds territory with the use of infantry, aircraft, and an extensive support staff.

My experience is that discipline and morale are better with the Marines and hence their combat discipline. Decisions are taken at lower levels in the USMC. Chain of command seems a little heavy in the Army.

It is only my observation after having worked with both U.S. Marines and Army.

But but but, I heard the coast guard trains for 1000 weeks and carry their boats everywhere they go...AND they do BUD/s five times cause the first four were too easy.

You mean that would be hearsay if I didn´t experience it for myself?
ie: read the ROE up top.

To answer the thread originator.
It´s BASIC training, you learn to (hopefully) un**** yourself enough to be taught a proffesion.
It is designed not to hinder you, but to make you something similar to a soldier/marine/coastie/zoomie whatever.

Do your best at all times and strive to get better, and then when you get to a unit. Start over.
NOONE is a soldier after doing basic, just saying..

Good luck in achieving whatever goal you set for yourself.
Decide to be an asset to your Team or don´t sign up at all.

KJ sends...

But but but, I heard the coast guard trains for 1000 weeks and carry their boats everywhere they go...AND they do BUD/s five times cause the first four were too easy.

You mean that would be hearsay if I didn´t experience it for myself?
ie: read the ROE up top.

To answer the thread originator.
It´s BASIC training, you learn to (hopefully) un**** yourself enough to be taught a proffesion.
It is designed not to hinder you, but to make you something similar to a soldier/marine/coastie/zoomie whatever.

Do your best at all times and strive to get better, and then when you get to a unit. Start over.
NOONE is a soldier after doing basic, just saying..

Good luck in achieving whatever goal you set for yourself.
Decide to be an asset to your Team or don´t sign up at all.

KJ sends...

They only 998 weeks and BUD/S twice.

Here is the Army Boot Training Schedule, 9 weeks, not 13 like you stated above
http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry...aining/bct.asp
*Edit* There is 14 week as an option, not all units do that training.

I went to your link... Once AGAIN BCT(pogs) is 9wks. If you look on the left hand side of that link It shows and OSUT link. OSUT is what ALL infantry Soldiers attend. And if you want to get technical, it can range from 13wks 6 days to 17weeks. Have a nice day.

Brinktk; i'm aware of SOI and MCT. Half the **** you learn in OSUT/BCT/AIT/SOI/MCT/Bootcamp is forgotten shortly after. It's the training at your UNIT that matters. The Army gets you there faster. Not only that, the Army has more funding. Funding goes hand in hand with training. Go ask a Marine on Kaneohe where they do most of their training non amphibious training at. I bet it's an Army location. And they have to wait til we're not using it... just something to think about.

GHR: The Army has units on standby capable of responding to crisis anywhere in the world within 18hrs. That's faster than any Marine units reaction time. The US Army is fully capable of performing the roles of the USMC. The reverse cannot be said.

11. That's the amount of times people that matter have brought up the topic of getting rid of the Marine Corps.

Last edited:
Son? Really?

I've got more time in the DFAC than you have total TIS there Skippy.

I've got socks and skivvies with more TIG than you.

Yet my socks probably have more combat time than you do. Have fun with your 6 month deployments... whats that, like 5 months of actual work?... Oh wait... you guys take leave too.. 4 months of actual work. YUT YUT!

Edit: NOW its hammer time! :)

Back