I have over 12 months before this happens BUT
I was wondering.....

I know you are allowed to write to them
while they are in Boot Camp BUT, my Question
is are you allowed to send Packages and IF so
what is it you are allowed to send them while
they are in Boot Camp?

LadyHawk

The Marines here can answer this question more fully seeing as your son will be going into that branch. I can tell you this though, don't send food unless you send enough for his whole training company. Probably wouldn't be allowed by the leathernecks at all is my guess. In the Army though if you didn't have enough for all nobody got any of it. As for writting, write often and get as many friends and relations as you can to write as well. Mail call is an eagerly awaited event every day. Nobody wants to be what my drill sergeant called "the unloved".

I can tell you this though, don't send food unless you send enough for his whole training company. Probably wouldn't be allowed by the leathernecks at all is my guess.

If and I am saying IF sweets are allowed HOW many is in a Training Company?

Are they allowed to make calls or is it just snail Mail Only?

LadyHawk

As Charge 7 advised Do Not send food. Two things may occur one the recruit will never see it or two the recruit will see it and get to eat it at a very rapid pace. Moms Chocolate Chip cookies don't taste great the second time around.

Send letters, cards etc. The recruit will be able to advise you if any other articles are authorized. Really all they will need to know is that you are thinking of them. Evrything else will be provided by the Corps.

We started out with 208 men in my training company but that was decades ago. No idea how big they are now. As both 03USMC and I have said, give up the idea of sending sweets or food of any kind while he's in Basic. You know the old mantra of "the nail that sticks out the furthest gets pounded down the hardest"? Well, it certainly applies to Basic. Getting food is one sure way to make your son stick out to his DI. There'll be plenty of time to send your son goodies (or as my leatherneck father called it "pogey bait") later in his career.

As for phonecalls. I'm sure the Marines allow that. Don't expect one for weeks though and it will be very hurried at that. All you should say is that things are okay at home and that you love him. He doesn't need anything else on his mind while in training. If his dog died, or a friend got hurt etc happens while he's away save it for after training to tell him.

When he gets to MCRD he will get one phone call. It will be "I'm here. I'm Safe. I will write." nothing much more. A total of maybe 45 seconds or less.

Don't expect any other phone calls until graduation.

The Marine Corps Training Platoons average about 80 recruits at pick up. Mine had 86.

As far as I know they are not allowed any packeages at all. Best bet would be send a letter and nothin more. Anythin other than that can lead to problems for him. Make sure there is nothin on the outside of the envelope also, just his name and address and your name and address, NOTHIN ELSE, trust me on this.

Sooner were you a "Lover Boy"?

No packages. And he might want to advise his female friends not to send photos if they don't want to become part of the Hog Board.

03USMC said:
When he gets to MCRD he will get one phone call. It will be "I'm here. I'm Safe. I will write." nothing much more. A total of maybe 45 seconds or less.

Don't expect any other phone calls until graduation.

The Marine Corps Training Platoons average about 80 recruits at pick up. Mine had 86.

Don't forget about the MARS letter you get to send. How many graduated is the harder number, many platoons start at 80 and graduate less than 60.

Also, I remember getting thrashed numerous times for my girlfriends putting diffent little doodles on the outside of the envelope. I think is was the champion at bends and thrusts by the end of boot.

Thanks for all the Good Advice :)

As for anything on the Envelope....
Geesh I am his MOTHER
Not his G/F.....Not like I am
going to put perfume on it ....LOL :lol: :lol:

Snail Mail will be fine :) Dang....Been awhile
since I have done Snail Mail with Internet
everyone does E-mail now....LOL

Let me see I need Envelope, Stamp and Paper
OHHHH, I can't forget I have to address the
envelope and put return address on it also.

Okay I think it is all coming back to me now :mrgreen:

LadyHawk

I dont mean just girlfriend stuff. If there is anything on the outside of that envelope other than what is suppose to be, even if you put mom instead of your name. Anything. I know this may sound trivial but it is little things that people do and dont realize it.

Hey guys, think of this: I got a letter from my uncle, he put his return address on it, GySgt. ---- His return was Port Hueneme, Ca. My DI's went off. My uncle was the company Gunny stationed there at that time.

Sooners1 said:
I dont mean just girlfriend stuff. If there is anything on the outside of that envelope other than what is suppose to be, even if you put mom instead of your name. Anything. I know this may sound trivial but it is little things that people do and dont realize it.

Hey guys, think of this: I got a letter from my uncle, he put his return address on it, GySgt. ---- His return was Port Hueneme, Ca. My DI's went off. My uncle was the company Gunny stationed there at that time.

Okay Gotcha......

Keep it simple....Name & Address Only :)

Well from me anyways LOL

As for the other Girls in his life who may write him while in BC
I am sure something will be added to those Envelopes.....LOL

Anyone else want to tell their stories of Boot Camp or Basic training
Mail? This is kinda interesting LOL

LadyHawk

My son is in his 12th week of OSUT and when I asked him if he could receive packages yet he said to me "Do not send me anything but letters!"
to much attention is granted to those who get a package. He didn't elaborate & I didn't ask.

I will say this, a lady I work with has a son in the Marines & she told me a story that happened while her son was at BCT. Halfway thru BCT one guy received a package from Mom filled with enough cookies for everyone. Unfortunately he was the only one allowed to enjoy them! ALL of them All at once standing at the end of his bunk with a DI commenting all the way! He ended up pretty ill!

One kid in my Platoon had a brother who was a Cpl. in the wing at El Toro. He wrote on USMC stationary and addressed it to his brother Pvt. ------ USMC. No No numero uno. No No numero dos, on the back he scrawled in big letters. " Have you hugged your DI today?" He bent and thrust forever. And there were vailed threats from our Heavy Hat (Also a winger) that if ever found his brother " Cpl. Turd" he would rip out his heart thru his throat. Okay not so vailed :lol: Of course the message on purpose his brother knew exactly what would happen.

03USMC "Of course the message on purpose his brother knew exactly what would happen."

When my kid brother went to Basic I was a captain. I forgot about such things and addressed a letter to him with my rank on the return address (I was at Annual Training at the time and it was reflex). Oh boy the heat he got! Drill sergeant asked him if his "big brother was gonna come down and hurt me?". Well, when I heard that I made a point of attending his graduation. I received my salute from his drill sergeant and in a whisper asked him for a "favor". He was actually a nice enough guy and saw the humor of it as I dropped him for 20 as a gag. He got up real fast though and bellowed that "the rest of you will need to get a commission before you can do THAT!" but he did it with a smile on his face. I think he liked giving them that as much as anybody did.

Back