Boot camp

Not sure I understand what you mean? You have entered into a pissing competition here, without looking how far others can piss. You think because have done a couple of deployments no one else matches you. You need to understand there is a lot of experience on this forum, from WW2 all the way to current conflicts, many career soldiers who have done more deployments than years you have been alive. Take a step back.

too bad my experience isn't what i'm arguing.

I wasn't picking any fights. I was enlightening the mass that basic and osut are two different things; infantrymen dont go through AIT. And provided reasons for why someones comment on Marine bootcamp being the most difficult, isn't true.

That's all well and good but I think you went a little out of your lane when you brought your sock into the convo. Anyway, PM me. I'd like to talk to you.

I am amazed with this topic. I made a statement (probably shouldn't have made the "hardest" statement), gave a kid a site for the Marine boot camp and it's sparked a lot of debate.
It's like I slammed a door on someones fingers and face.

I just thank everyone for their service whatever they're in, it's good everyone is proud of their branch though :)

The deployments these days in the war are a lot softer than they used to be. .

HOLY CRAP!!! I can't believe I missed this... WTF... LMAO

You do realize that Afghanistan is the worst it's been in a while, right?
The 101st suffered the worst casualties since Vietnam... and they only redeployed about 3 months ago.

HOLY CRAP!!! I can't believe I missed this... WTF... LMAO

You do realize that Afghanistan is the worst it's been in a while, right?
The 101st suffered the worst casualties since Vietnam... and they only redeployed about 3 months ago.

I don't think any combat battalion in OIF or OEF has come close to sustaining the casualties that an average combat battalion did in Vietnam. The worst casualties for a company were 16 KIA in OIF/OEF/OND. An infantry company would have a single firefight in Vietnam about every 3-4 months that would incur that many KIA.

What I meant by the statement was, beds, burger king, TV, internet, showers, toilets, etc. I would venture to say that you have never gone months without a shower, spent weeks living out of your vehicle or sleeping in bombed out buildings. There are a lot more things than combat that can make your life miserable down range. You see, you have the benefit of coming to these areas after we have been here for years. So you take all this stuff for granted. So while all this stuff was getting set up, what do you think the guys on the ground were doing. Your arrogance reeks of inexperience. I'm even starting to wonder if your credentials you claim are legitimate. Surely a guy on the ground with as much "knowledge" as you claim, could not be this obtuse and ignorant.

Like I said. None of the real deal guys I know talk like this guy. When someone does, it's usually that useless git that falls out of hikes and can't do anything right.

I just thank everyone for their service whatever they're in, it's good everyone is proud of their branch though :)

Yesterday I was going to reply and decided at the end not to get involved in this, because I never served and thought some people might not appreciate or would misconstrue my opinion.

But that's precisely what I was going to say. I appreciate the the service of all our service people regardless of their role, amount of experience in the service, or service branch.

If I may be allowed to make a comment even though I have not participated in the discussion.

For an NCO I would expect more professionalism.
This way of behaving like an immature child does not indicate to me that this person is a professional soldier.

And all this nonsense about who is best - jam it down the toilet and rinse it out. We all have our jobs and we are all important in order to solve the tasks we face. Cooperation is the key word. Now, Sign in or sign out! Your choice mate!

You ain't hurtin anybody's feelings on here. It is just one big pissing contest regardless of the branch you go in. Look at all branches and pick the one that give you what you want out of it. EVERY singe experience is different no matter if you graduated from boot camp as rack mates it won't be the same. You will know exactly what boot camp is like the day you march on to the grinder and get called a Marine or soldier for the first time. Just be sure you want it before you go. It doesn't matter what others say.

These are words of wisdom. As an ex Army Recruiter I recommend picking the service that gives you the best deal based on what you want from your service. Millions on men and women have gone through basic or boot and so can you. The secret to sucess (I believe) is a positive attitude.

I don't think any combat battalion in OIF or OEF has come close to sustaining the casualties that an average combat battalion did in Vietnam. The worst casualties for a company were 16 KIA in OIF/OEF/OND. An infantry company would have a single firefight in Vietnam about every 3-4 months that would incur that many KIA.

What I meant by the statement was, beds, burger king, TV, internet, showers, toilets, etc. I would venture to say that you have never gone months without a shower, spent weeks living out of your vehicle or sleeping in bombed out buildings. There are a lot more things than combat that can make your life miserable down range. You see, you have the benefit of coming to these areas after we have been here for years. So you take all this stuff for granted. So while all this stuff was getting set up, what do you think the guys on the ground were doing. Your arrogance reeks of inexperience. I'm even starting to wonder if your credentials you claim are legitimate. Surely a guy on the ground with as much "knowledge" as you claim, could not be this obtuse and ignorant.

I stand corrected, let me rephrase. The 101st suffered its worst casualties since Vietnam. The 101st suffered more casualties in its 2010-2011 deployment, more than any other American unit that's ever been in Afghanistan.

I'm professional when I need to be. And the only time i've seen a burgerking/greenbean/pizza hut/ etc is when we visited the big fobs for resupply runs. I personally haven't had to go months without showers but it could happen... 6 years into OEF there were infantry platoons going months without showers. I don't think its too far fetched to think it could happen now. P.S. i dont have t.v. and i've spent 2 months doing 3 days on 3 days off, sleeping on a cot or in the back of an MRAP in an Iraqi police jcc ... wasnt that bad.

Last edited:
Well laddy; you need to be professional 24-7. That’s why you have stripes on your sleeve.

I understand what you're saying but I vowed never to be the tightass NCO who takes things too seriously. Unless its something thats gonna get someone hurt/killed or is just plain wrong, I'm not gonna care. Hands in your pocket if its cold? I don't care.

Some things still bother me like walking and talking in public(pretty sure civilians know we aren't supposed to do this) so when they see someone doing it it makes us look bad. Same for smoking

But some people just have too much time on their hands

"No pt's in the MWR" are you ****ing serious?
MG of 1st Cav, you sir, are a turd burglar.

No DIRTY pt's i could understand... but no pts at all on all the bases in your AO? that's ridiculous... some of them are only company sized.

I understand what you're saying but I vowed never to be the tightass NCO who takes things too seriously. Unless its something thats gonna get someone hurt/killed or is just plain wrong, I'm not gonna care. Hands in your pocket if its cold? I don't care.

Some things still bother me like walking and talking in public(pretty sure civilians know we aren't supposed to do this) so when they see someone doing it it makes us look bad. Same for smoking

But some people just have too much time on their hands

"No pt's in the MWR" are you ****ing serious?
MG of 1st Cav, you sir, are a turd burglar.

No DIRTY pt's i could understand... but no pts at all on all the bases in your AO? that's ridiculous... some of them are only company sized.

You're trying to be popular. You're not a leader.

If you are being true to reality then you're simply an embarrassment to the NCO corps. Getting the little things right is what keeps your troops alive. You need to get all the little things right because that's what falls off when people start to go beyond what they are capable of... translation for you... if your troops aren't getting the little things right then they aren't getting the big things right either.

If you have a conscience you'll either a) rectify your problem by removing said cranium from said fourth point of contact or b) see your 1SG asap and ask for some assistance in removing your head from your ass... before someone gets hurt because of your desire to be liked.

I'm hoping this mentality is not the lay of the land. All you kiddos reading this pay attention and remember for that day you find yourself sweating out whether you should do the right thing or the popular (read WRONG) thing... they are never the same option and the decisions you make reflect on you, your family, your organization no matter military or civilian.

Back