Boot Camp before Graduation?

silent driller

I heard something recently that sounded like a bunch of garbage, but I wanted the info from the experts. Appearantly, there's some sort of program adopted by the Army where, after a student's sophomore year, he can go to boot camp and then go back to school. He gets paid while he's in school, and after he graduates, he simply goes to AIT. This is the basic story that's been fed to me. Supposedly, the Air Force and Marine Corps are going to adopt this program as well. I think it's a bunch of garbage for several reasons: You have to be 17 to even sign the line(with parental permission), and you have to have a high school diploma to be allowed to go to boot camp. These are my main hangups. An opinion from someone who knows what they're talking about would be greatly appreciated.

In the Marine Corps you have to be 17 but you do not have to have an HS diploma.....provided you are a spilt option reservist.

I never knew about that little factiod. When I enlisted, I went in at 17, but that was because I got my diploma early. But I think that the US Army is doing that with it's reservres only.

Here's the example. Appearantly, some kid at the age of twelve signed up for some sort of Army program where he's been getting paid(for what?) and he's been in this program for 5 years or something...

silent driller said:
Here's the example. Appearantly, some kid at the age of twelve signed up for some sort of Army program where he's been getting paid(for what?) and he's been in this program for 5 years or something...

It's BS.

silent driller said:
I heard something recently that sounded like a bunch of garbage, but I wanted the info from the experts. Appearantly, there's some sort of program adopted by the Army where, after a student's sophomore year, he can go to boot camp and then go back to school. He gets paid while he's in school, and after he graduates, he simply goes to AIT. This is the basic story that's been fed to me. Supposedly, the Air Force and Marine Corps are going to adopt this program as well. I think it's a bunch of garbage for several reasons: You have to be 17 to even sign the line(with parental permission), and you have to have a high school diploma to be allowed to go to boot camp. These are my main hangups. An opinion from someone who knows what they're talking about would be greatly appreciated.

The split option enlistment program exists, but you must be a high school grad to start it. It is intended for those who have graduated high school and intend to then attend college - in otherwords for reservists and National Guardsmen. They then complete their AIT after their freshman year of college during the break before their sophomore year.

The split option program is available for High School Juniors. They attend basic training the summer between their junior and senior years. They will attend their AIT after graduation. College students do use it, but the program was intended specifically for High School students.

Okay, RnderSafe, thanks for pointing out my lapse. I was under the impression a high school diploma was a requirement for joining the service. The manner I stated was how it was always employed in my Guard unit.

Back