Body armor upgrade could save US Marines

You know we could have saved hundreds maybe thousands of lives in WWII if we had issued every soldier a Flak Jacket like air crews had.

Standard ruck w/ combat load 90 lb's
Full IBA 30 Lb's
700 rounds of .223 50 lb's

Total combat load: 140 lb's

This guys not wearing IBA either.

stranglehold439c4305605da.jpg

Last edited:
How often do infantry move in modern tactics with ruck sacks anymore? I know they do it qutie a bit, especially airborne. But maybe it's not a bad idea to strap on another 10lbs of extra armor if you arn't having to carry around the other 90lbs? You know, a lighter armor for airborne and a heavier armor for mobile infantry?

Whispering Death said:
How often do infantry move in modern tactics with ruck sacks anymore? I know they do it qutie a bit, especially airborne. But maybe it's not a bad idea to strap on another 10lbs of extra armor if you arn't having to carry around the other 90lbs? You know, a lighter armor for airborne and a heavier armor for mobile infantry?

Like the RBA for Airborne and the whole IBA system for infantry.

The guy above is carrying anything compared to some pics I've seen.

Yeah, that's the idea. Especially if it's something modular so you can change out your protection/weight based on the mission profile.

So if your infantry unit is assaulting an isolated chain of caves in dense mountains you can take off the extra weight.
Then if you're transfered to Baghdad on your next deployment where you spend your time in a central base and go out on patrols or raids you'd be using more armor.

Last edited:
Whispering Death said:
Yeah, that's the idea. Especially if it's something modular so you can change out your protection/weight based on the mission profile.

So if your infantry unit is assaulting an isolated chain of caves in dense mountains you can take off the extra weight.
Then if you're transfered to Baghdad on your next deployment where you spend your time in a central base and go out on patrols or raids you'd be using more armor.

Good idea.

Cadet Seaman said:
You know we could have saved hundreds maybe thousands of lives in WWII if we had issued every soldier a Flak Jacket like air crews had./quote]

Hundred of thousands

i read a study saying the helmet worn by US troops prevented some 50,000 casualties in WWII.

Koz said:
Cadet Seaman said:
You know we could have saved hundreds maybe thousands of lives in WWII if we had issued every soldier a Flak Jacket like air crews had./quote]

Hundred of thousands

i read a study saying the helmet worn by US troops prevented some 50,000 casualties in WWII.

Good, then we may have been able to save more if we had issued Flak Vests.

Whispering Death said:

You don't go into an actual assault wearing a ruck. You drop it and carry your battle rattle and maybe a butt pack.

Back