Black Diggers -

Read more about In case anyone remembers, I've posted here about Black Diggers before. Groups in Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus that operate around areas where firece battles were fought i

International Military Forums > >
User Name
Password

June 10th, 2011   #1
Prapor

Black Diggers info

In case anyone remembers, I've posted here about Black Diggers before. Groups in Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus that operate around areas where firece battles were fought in WWII, as well as near military weapons storage facilities and dump-sites, finding, repairing if necessary, and selling old, written off, but perfectly working weapons. Well, recently, my brothers and I went to one of those places, to see our very own Black Digger squad leader, no names, I'll just call him by his nickname here, 'Rembo'. Marine veteran, Cossack, and his group only sells to us, Cossacks. Because we know and trust each other, he allowed me to take some pictures in their warehouse for you guys.

You can see some Maxim machine-guns, as well as a German WW-II era machine-gun, and a mine thrower (big upward-pointing tube there).

More of Maxims.

And the German gun in the middle there.

Two Soviet high-caliber armor-piercing rifles (anti-tank) and an assortiment of swords, sabers and such, this is a Cossack shop after all, we like blades too

Some other sort of machine gun, a bunch of AKs, a PPSh showing under the machine gun there, and on the middle-right a German WW-II Schmeisser sub-machine gun.

Hand-guns. I saw Lugers, Parabellums, TTs, Nagant revolvers, and a Makarov PM. We bought 5, different ones, they are cheap, about US$5 each.

Rifles

PKM machine guns (eventually, we bought the one on top for around US$500), a gas mask, a AKM assault rifle, and another PPSh

PPSh, Schmeisser, Uzi (I think), another PPSh, AKM

Last edited by Prapor; June 13th, 2011 at 01:52..

--
June 10th, 2011   #2
Prapor

More machine guns

The one on the very right used to be aircraft mounted, I believe.

More blades

June 10th, 2011   #3
A Can of Man

Amazing... absolutely amazing.
They even dug up a carbine M1.

June 11th, 2011   #4
Prapor

USA sent thousands of M1s to USSR with other aid during WWII/Great Patriotic War. Probably plenty are still left over.

June 11th, 2011   #5
A Can of Man

I wonder how they managed ammunition back then. Must have been a logistical nightmare.

June 12th, 2011   #6
Prapor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Can of Man
I wonder how they managed ammunition back then. Must have been a logistical nightmare.
Good question. Today, I know, they refit them for more common types of ammo.

June 12th, 2011   #7
A Can of Man

Nice! Do they do that for the MG-42s as well?

June 13th, 2011   #8
MontyB

It is a pity as I am hopefully about a month away from being able to buy an MG-42 although I still have to justify its addition to the collection (and to be honest I am a bit thin on the ground for reasons other than I don't have one and would like one which really becomes a hard sell).

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire 1694-1778

June 13th, 2011   #9
Prapor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Can of Man
Nice! Do they do that for the MG-42s as well?
Thank you, NOW I remember what that gun is called lol And yes, probably. I believe they adapt them to PKM ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
It is a pity as I am hopefully about a month away from being able to buy an MG-42 although I still have to justify its addition to the collection (and to be honest I am a bit thin on the ground for reasons other than I don't have one and would like one which really becomes a hard sell).
It is good being Cossack in Russia. We get any weapon we want short of WMDs, no questions asked. Especially if you are a member of a Cossack militia, which are recognized now as part of security forces (in Stavropolski and Krasnodarski krais and Rostov oblast, our men patrol together with police, in fact, in our communities, our militias act as police, enforce law, maintain order, and keep out bad people.

I have a ID like this:

Federal Service for Cossack Affairs. 750,000 Cossacks are enlisted with this... well... army, really, at this point. With own uniforms, own, Cossack, ranking system and everything

With this, I can (and do) walk in to a police or military armoury and take whatever I want. I also do not have to pay taxes. In return, I am tied to the Russian military for the rest of my life. If the country is at war, I am to come to the nearest base fully armed and ready to fight.

June 13th, 2011   #10
A Can of Man

That is friggin' sweet.
Need to check the trigger discipline on those guys but as a deal I'd jump on it no sweat!

Tags
black, german, gun, machine, ppsh