A BIRD's EYE VIEW OF THE COLOURFUL INDIAN ARMY REGIMENTS

roverin

:horsie: Hi guys have a look see at the colourful Regiments we have and I promise more stuff for people who are interested.

A panoramic image of all the Infantry Regiments which currently serve in the Indian Army

Some Fragments Of History From The Glorious Archives Of The Colourful Indian Army

Hi Guys have a look see at a brief history of my battalion that is the battalion I was commissioned in 1987.HAPPY VIEWING!

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rattrays Sikhs [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
3rd Battalion Sikh Regiment, India
[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]
ss-royal_sikh.jpg
[/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]
ss-Rattraysikhs1886.jpg
[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]The Government in India decided in 1855 to raise a Corps of Mitlitary Police to control the Lower Provinces of Bengal, east of Behar where a rebellion had broken out. The person chosen to raise this body of men was Captain Thomas Rattray of the 64th Regiment of Bengal Infantry, who was currently ommanding the Viceroy’s Body-Guard. It is said that, ‘There is no doubt that Thomas Rattray was a marked man - “a live wire” He was 36 years old and a Captain of some 5 years standing, when he was chosen to fill the then vacant position of Commandant of the Viceroy’s Body-Guard. [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]It was decided that the Bengal Military Police Battalion should be raised in the Punjab, where a large number of ex-soldiers of the old Sikh Army, who had fought the British, were available. The recruiting of the soldiers led to a number of lovely stories, one of which we include as follows:
The Battalion played an important part in putting down the Indian Mutiny of 1857- 1859. Today the Battalion is the 3rd Battalion Sikh Regiment (Rattrays Sikhs). It is still very much an active Battalion, performing all the duties called upon it by the Indian Government of today.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]
ss-Rattray1898.jpg
[/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]
sss45thsikhs1901.jpg
[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Part of a group photo taken at a reunion durbar in 1901. Serving officers are mixed with ex-officers in mufti.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]
The seated British officer with five medals, holding his Wolesley helmet is Lt. Haldane Rattray (son of Thomas Rattray). Next to him in the old style Zouave tunic is Subadar-Major Jiwan Singh who represented the regiment as King's Indian Orderly Officer in 1903
[/FONT]

roverin, if I might ask a question, but whats the story(history) behind this head dress of the soldiers in your post?
And oh, do they protect well enough? Do they go to combat with them? heh, thanx :)

Hi,

Mighty Most of them are Sikh ...... they have the religious Obligations to wear the Head gear Called Pagri ...

Our Current Army Chief is also a Sikh

high1224045.jpg

General J.J Singh in the center

Chief-Army24.jpg

Sikh wear the Turban .......Rest are Ceremonial Head gears ...... we use Normal healmets in combat.

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Last edited:
Answer To Your Query

You see the traditional head gear of the Sikhs is the turban.The Sikhs are a famous martial race of India who were an off shoot of the Hindus raised as a clan by the reformist Hindu Guru , Guru Nanak to break away form some dogmatic practices of the old system which had got steeped in caste hierarchy and rituals.They abhor idol worship and after Guru Nanak they had another nine gurus the last of whom was Guru Govind Singh.He was a king and guru and transformed this sect into a hardcore militant lot to fight the invading Mughals and other muslim adventurer's who would sweep into the peaceful ,fertile plains of India from Central Asia through Afghanistan and would spread loot, mayhem ,rape and pillage amongst the philosophic,peace loving Hindu dominated population of India.

He made this community to take oath to fight for the peace and protection of the population and laid down some tenets.Basically the early Sikhs were soldiers who had to be on the constant run carrying out commando like raids on the magnificent and huge unwieldy armies of the Mughals.They were adminstrerd the oath of five K's to include;

(a)Kesh--long hair
(b)Kara---iron bracelet
(c)Kanghi--comb
(d)Kaccha--undergarment of the loins
(e)Kirpan---sword

The headgear you see is the pugri or Turban worn by Sikhs as a protection of their long hair.No this is not a protective headgear, the protection is more spiritual ;drawn from the strength in beliefs, custom and inner resilience.In fact both in the days of the British and in the Independent Indian Army the Sikh personnel are exempted from wearing helmets including for driving bikes etc.This has generated a lot of hue and cry in certain western countries where a large number of this community have migrated and are playing an increasing important role in their overall economic and social life.

In the old Indian Army and its present day legacy the troops of Infantry are raised purely on community basis.India being a vast country draws people from various ethnic groups and they comprise the different regiments , strenthening their respective regiments by their own rich culture, martial traditions, community pride etc.However overall sight of India as a nation is not lost sight of ,since even with its vast diversity Indian culture and history promotes "a unity in diversity"

You maybe interested to know the present Prime Minister Of India Is a
Sikh Gentleman, Dr. Manmohan Singh and the Present Army Chief is again
A Sikh Officer General G J Singh.The beauty is that The President Of India is Dr.A PJ Abdul Kalam who is a muslim.So Our culture promotes harmony and integration.
JAI HIND ! :bravo:

Bravo !Sword fish that was a fast job.I was typing out a reply but you pre-empted me.Keep it up,you sure make me feel proud.

---------------------------------------------------------------

A SOLDIER OF THE RAJPUTANA RIFLES(INDIAN ARMY)IN CEREMONIAL UNIFORM :tank:

Last edited by a moderator:
Roverin, you never cease to amaze me. your army is one cool out fit.
have had a look at the indian army site from kashmir, you chaps are doing a great job out there. Oh by the way thanks for all your help on the VC project, I have plenty of material to make it work, will send you a copy when it is completed.

Back