Bipolar and military service

TakakoTompez

I'm considering joining the air force or the army, wanting to become a Chaplain's Assistant.

I have bipolar though, and so far everyone has told me that disqualifies me. I don't even believe my doctor was right about my diagnosis. Does this actually disqualifiy me? and if so, is there anything I can do to get it removed from my medical records?

I had a friend who was bipolar and they let him enlist, so I don't know what the heck.

Get a second opinion, and a third, and a fourth if need be. If you think you don't have the condition, then set out to prove it. If you can disprove it then it shouldn't be a problem. By the way, being in the Australian military I can't really comment on the US military, but I'd assume it'd be pretty similar.

Best of luck.

Disabled people in the military?

dear Takako Tompez
I can compare what you mean...
I enroled into MCJROTC when I was a freshman in High School (i am now a junior) and ever since that very first day, all I have wanted to do is join the military. (Marines especially Oorah!!!) but unfortunately I have epilepsy.
I have had only one single seizure and it was the summer before my freshman year in HS. I have talked to all different types of recruiters and soldiers/Marines asking them what they think about having people with disabilities like mine in the military, but doing jobs that wont put others in danger (like on a base or something). Most of them tell me that they think it would be great if people like me could join.
I am trying to get a second opinion, but I am having trouble getting ahold of a second Doctor.
All I want to do is Help my country.....without hurting my country....because of my disability

Good luck with your Bipolar
and Never give up!!
Cadet 2nd Lieutenant Alison Stinson

bipolar

Generally the american military won't allow enlistment of people who might do strange things at strange times. Epilipsy might reoccur during stress. Who knows what could bring on an attack of Bipolar. if you have ever taken certain mind altering drugs, you are permanently disqualified. Physical injuries are different. a captain commanding an infantry company in Iraq lost a lower leg to a mine. They fitted him with a fake leg and he is going back as an infantry commander. but he had to proove that he could do the job.
You can proove that you can do the job with a physical injury, You can't proove that a mental thing will never reoccur.

IMO, mind altering = a condition that can change your brain function.

I am also not from the US, but if this helps...

From what I have heard from others, the military would not accept anyone with a mood disorder. Nor would they accept people with epilepsy. It doesn't matter whether you apply for a desk or a front-line position, sadly.

You can't proove that a mental thing will never reoccur.

That is true, and I think that is the line the defence force takes. Although IMO if the condition has been adequately controlled then there shouldn't be an issue.

You can proove that you can do the job with a physical injury

To a certain extent yes, although some physical conditions can rule you out of even a desk job [like diabetes].

Quoting the original poster...

I don't even believe my doctor was right about my diagnosis.

Who diagnosed you - was a psychiatrist or your GP? How long have you had your diagnosis? If you disagree with the diagnosis then you should seek a second opinion, at the least. You have to make sure that do not have bipolar, or another mood disorder.

is there anything I can do to get it removed from my medical records?

I'm not sure you can remove anything from your medical records, unfortunately. Although if you can prove that you were mis-diagnosed, then you can use that as evidence you are fit to enlist.

Anyways, before you consider enlisting, make sure you are...

1) Stable;
2) Correctly diagnosed;
3) On the correct treatment.

As for having OCD...I think that could impair your functioning in the military ["No, you can't wash your hands for the 20th time today! We have a plane to catch!"]. Although if you can prove that your disorder can be remediated within 12 months, they will probably let you enlist after that time.

Back