Bill considers role if Hillary becomes president

Infern0

Banned
Former US President Bill Clinton said he could take a role promoting the United States around the world if his wife Hillary becomes president.

Clinton said the US government had "squandered" widespread global support after the September 11 attacks in 2001.
"There was a period after 9/11 when we decided on a go-it-alone, my way or the highway approach which I think really alienated a lot of the world," he told BBC Radio.
Asked what role he might take if his wife became President, he said: "I'd be of most use to her doing something to try to help restore America's standing in the world and build more allies and get us to work together again."
A new Washington Post/ABC News poll showed Hillary Clinton pulling away from her Democratic rivals for the nomination with 53 percent support* compared with 20 percent for Senator Barak Obama and John Edwards with 13 percent.
Bill Clinton stressed he knew who would be boss if she wins the presidency.
"In the end she would make her own decisions just as I did when I was President," he said.
"She would be a great president and I would be the happiest person on earth if she could get elected," he added.

lucky "one person, one vote" doesn't count when electing an american president... i have never really understood how the electoral college voting system works, and why it exists at all

It's because of the will of the states with smaller populations. In other words, states with small populations may forever have their voices not heard if the voting system was absolutely direct and electoral college not in place.
At least, technically.

Inferno; in a nutshell

Each state is assigned a certain number of electoral votes based on its population density. For Example since California had the most number of people it has 59 electoral votes. Hawaii and Alaska have only 2 because hardly anyone lives there.

To be president you must have 270 electoral votes.

Its a winner-takes-all-contest. So if Hillary wins California in 2008 Presidential race she takes ALL 59 electoral votes with her.

Thats precisely how we got stuck with Bush in 2000. Because he "won" (under debious circumstances) in Florida by 150 votes, he took ALL the electoral votes, Despite the fact that half the people in Florida voted for Gore.

Thats why I think the electoral college system should be abandoned.

13 Redneck

Actually it had to do with the fact that the Founding Fathers wanted a more aritocratic membership in politics. The idea of the common man directly choosing the President was deemed vulgar at the time. The USA is the only country that keeps this system every other country has chosen the parlimentarian system.

Thats precisely how we got stuck with Bush in 2000. Because he "won" (under debious circumstances) in Florida by 150 votes, he took ALL the electoral votes, Despite the fact that half the people in Florida voted for Gore.

Thats why I think the electoral college system should be abandoned.

I am not sure that getting a result that we don't like is a good enough excuse to abandon an electoral system, if it was every country on earth would be swapping systems after every election.

Yeah he knows who would be boss if she was elected. Because it wouldn't be any different than his terms in office,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,she'd still be in charge.:angel:

I think the electoral college should've been thrown out a long time ago. How un-American to say that certain peoples' votes don't count because they live in an area that will vote predominantly red or blue!

I think the electoral college should've been thrown out a long time ago. How un-American to say that certain peoples' votes don't count because they live in an area that will vote predominantly red or blue!

yeah this is my thinking on it, seems to needlessly complicatethe voting process....is there a historical reason why a straight popular vote isn't used for the presidential elections?

I am not sure that getting a result that we don't like is a good enough excuse to abandon an electoral system, if it was every country on earth would be swapping systems after every election.

There are only two countries still use the electoral system, the USA and somebody else whom I forget. Everybody else is on the Parliamentary system.

TomTom

I agree in theory (and I liked Bill Clinton) however its the people that should decide. If they want a return to the Clinton era, so be it.

Last edited:
There are only two countries still use the electoral system, the USA and somebody else whom I forget. Everybody else is on the Parliamentary system.

According to Wikipedia (so take it as you wish) several nations use it:
Burundi, Estonia, India, France (for the senate), Hong Kong, Kazakhstan, Madagascar, Nepal, Pakistan and Trinidad and Tobago.

God knows if this is still accurate or not but there ya go it was a quick search.

According to Wikipedia (so take it as you wish) several nations use it:
Burundi, Estonia, India, France (for the senate), Hong Kong, Kazakhstan, Madagascar, Nepal, Pakistan and Trinidad and Tobago.

God knows if this is still accurate or not but there ya go it was a quick search.

I stand corrected, although only France, India, and the US really count. The others have a very stretched definition of elections. Still its a pretty small minority.

Bill Clinton will be the First Man. He'll perform the same services that past First Ladies did for the President.

Erm, that has some rather interesting implications...

I'm somewhat torn in the current election system. Our founding Fathers knew that a direct voting system would be anarchy. The problem with a direct voting system is that once the people learn that they don't need to work for what they need and that they can just vote for it instead, the system and the nation as a whole is destroyed.

Our founding fathers knew that not everyone was the sharpest tool in the shed. Sadly, we all can agree to that even today. We are a nation in which all men are created free and equal but that to lead you must be educated and intelligent. Being free and equal does not mean that you're smart and intelligent. It just means that you have the same rights as the bum on the street to the richest man in the nation.

I believe that the current electoral college system does need to be revamped. Not dismantled and replaced with a complete new system. I just think that the restart button needs to be hit. But in reality I think that is mre the political system then the voting system.

I really believe that both the Republican and Democratic party need to be voted out of office. It's become that the current system of political parties are just a vote of who is the less evil of the two....

Nope. And I don't think he was in full control during his two tours. He'll be sent to a corner office in the parking garage.

You really think that????? Also I can't believe that people think that Hillary Clinton might be America's first female president. It's just not going to happen because Bill was America's first female president. Hilary is the male.... she has the *****.

Its a mute point - Hillary is to divisive. The press is making this out to be closer than it is, what's new? Hillary will bring people to the poles, no doubt about it - but they will come to ensure she is not elected. I think history has shown that Bubba did nothing but disgrace the office - so no worries about slick willie's role as first gigolo!
:cheers:

Nope. And I don't think he was in full control during his two tours. He'll be sent to a corner office in the parking garage.

I meant since Hillary got to run the country when he was president, maybe he gets to run the country when Hillary's president. But more likely Hillary will be seeking her third term in office.

Back