A better way to name "Terrorism"?

Balkan-MiG

Im not sure if many of you noticed this, but there is no actual official definiton on the world "Terrorism".

Personally, i think a better name would be "Complex Irregular Warfare".
Let me describe; "Complex" because terrorism is run much more differently than Western, Chinese, Russian, Iranian etc armies are run.

"Irregular" because of some of the methods used to deliver a attack, which isnt used in conventional warfare [Suicide bombings, for example]. Maybe adding that its using Guerilla tactics.

Your opinions?

So you would define terrorists as Guerilla's and vice versa? Usually the first go after soft targets whilst the latter armed soldiers. Have you read the other thread on defining terrorism?, perhaps this should be an extension to that one.

Last edited:
You misunderstood, i was just thinking of a better name for the word "Terrorism" and "Terrorist"

One persons terrorist can be anothers freedom fighter.

Guerilla is, i think, not what we call terrorism today. Guerillas fight so they could make an impact on the imposing army, terrorism is more complex.

For example, a terrorist groups objective might be to exploit the government they are fighting, showing that the government cant do nothing to protect the population from them, thus spreading fear, nervousness and loss of morale.

Or, a terrorist group might fight so the situation they are in can be seen and shown across the world. For example, theres a civil war going on in Paraguay, and nobody knows, or cares about it. A terrorist group might make a attack, possible genocide, so the worlds attention would be drawn to the civil war.

Or, simply, it might just be a attack against a differrent culture.

Thats one of the main reasons i think that Complex irregular warfare is a more suitable term than "Terrorism", though it is longer, its more specific and informative.

Also, terrorists are sometimes willing to co-operate with their enemy, unlike guerilla forces [Unless something of great value to the guerillas is threatened]. A good example is when the United Nations asked the Taliban to allow UN convoys to send some doctors into Taliban controlled territory, so that they could inject the people there with anti-viruses. This happened on the world peace day [21 september] and the Taliban agreed willingly.

terrorist
n. a radical who employs terror as a political weapon; usually organizes with other terrorists in small cells; often uses religion as a cover for terrorist activities

ter·ror·ism
n. The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

guer·ril·la or gue·ril·la
n. A member of an irregular, usually indigenous military or paramilitary unit operating in small bands in occupied territory to harass and undermine the enemy, as by surprise raids.

Terrorists use intimidation, fear and targeted violence against civilians to accomplish political goals.

Guerrillas target military targets for destruction or sabotage.

My opinion on Complex Irregular Warfare....

Complex, Yes
Irregular, No
Warfare, No

Since terrorizing civilians is the main goal of the terrorists, I think we should call them what they are. TERRORISTS.
Don;t hink we need to soften the title.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
terrorist
n. a radical who employs terror as a political weapon; usually organizes with other terrorists in small cells; often uses religion as a cover for terrorist activities

ter·ror·ism
n. The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

guer·ril·la or gue·ril·la
n. A member of an irregular, usually indigenous military or paramilitary unit operating in small bands in occupied territory to harass and undermine the enemy, as by surprise raids.

Terrorists use intimidation, fear and targeted violence against civilians to accomplish political goals.

Guerrillas target military targets for destruction or sabotage.

My opinion on Complex Irregular Warfare....

Complex, Yes
Irregular, No
Warfare, No

Since terrorizing civilians is the main goal of the terrorists, I think we should call them what they are. TERRORISTS.
Don;t hink we need to soften the title.

My 2 cents.

The word "Terrorism/Terrorist" is vague and innacurate. As i stated before, one person Terrorist is another persons freedom fighter.
Also: "Terrorists use intimidation, fear and targeted violence against civilians to accomplish political goals." That is, in a way, incorrect.

A excellent example is Nelson Mandela. He was defined as a "Terrorist" by the South African government [Though he didnt accept himself as a Terrorist, but a Sabouteour. He didnt define neither word]. He was labeled a terrorist simply because he opposed the regime, and in many countries he was accepted as a terrorist. But now, look at him! Would you call Nelson Mandela a terrorist now?

Also, many of the leaders now of former countries of French/Brittish colonies were labeled as Criminals and terrorists and put into prison.

Also, definitions given on terrorism in the United Nations 1984 Paris conference by the International law association "Acts of Terrorism" as:

atrocities, wanton killing, hostage taking, hijacking, extortion or torture, commited or threatened to be committed whether in peacetime or in wartime for political purposes

US criminal law also defines terrorism, but i will not write it down, though i reccomend reading it yourself over a internet site or similar.

Anyways, these definitions for "Terrorism" seem pretty straitforward, am i right? Why was it necessary then for the United Nations secretary general Kofi Annan to make a statement in the end of 2005, clearly expressing his dissapointment that it had not been possible for the UN's legal committee to finalise a comprehensive treaty on terrorism?
The UN currently, has 12-14 [Cant remember, but im sure its one of those numbers or 13] treaties on various aspects of the subject; but there is still no agreed definition of terrorism.

Complex Irregular warfare/warrior is more straightforward, easy to define and simpler than "Terrorism". Unlike Terrorist, Complex Irregular Warrior is not offensive to the person that views our "Terrorist" as a "freedom fighter"

Thats my 2 cents, and im proud of it [Please, continue with your views, im finding this discussion EXTREMELY enjoyable]

Why do you feel we should rename anything? Doesn't the word "terrorist" really describe the person? In layman's terms, a terrorist is one who causes terror in others. Is there really a need to change the names? Thinks of this... at one time a housewife was simply that, now there are all sorts of labels such as "domestic engineer". Or does, African-American really describe the skin color? There are Caucasian Africans, right?

Complex Irregular warfare/warrior is more straightforward, easy to define and simpler than "Terrorism". Unlike Terrorist, Complex Irregular Warrior is not offensive to the person that views our "Terrorist" as a "freedom fighter"

According to Wikipedia: "Freedom fighter" is a term for those engaged in an armed struggle, the main cause of which is to achieve freedom for themselves or obtain freedom for others. Though the literal meaning of the words could include anyone who fights for the cause of freedom"

Please explain how, in your opinion, a known terrorist such as Bin Laden could be honestly labeled as a "Freedom Fighter". Who's freedom is he fighting for? How could hijacking and all of the events of 9-11 come close to being considered Bin Laden acting as a Freedom Fighter?!? I would call those who fight against differences (such as I am not Muslim, therefore I should be killed) "Oppression Fighters".

Last edited:

Thats my 2 cents, and im proud of it [Please, continue with your views, im finding this discussion EXTREMELY enjoyable]

Ahhhhh.

I so love it when we are worried about OFFENDING someone. Remember this "In America he who is offended first is right."

If you are offended that I'm calling your "Freedom Fighter" a "Terrorist" the problem is yours not mine.

I think that the US Code sums it up. [U.S. Code Title 18, Section 2331]
The following is an excerpt. The specifics define the differences between international terrorism and domestic terrorism.
(A) involve violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State, or that would be a criminal violation if committed within the jurisdiction of the United States or of any State;
(B) appear to be intended—
(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
(iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping;

(B)(i) is the most relevant part I think. Terrorists target civilians. Irregular forces do not (else they become terrorists).

In my mind it is very simple. The minute you begin targeting civilians you are a terrorist. This is irrespective of the fact that "they did it first".

Yes I know that the US bombed german cities during WW2 and we dropped nuclear weapons on Japan.
Does it suck for those civilians? Absolutely.
Do I think we should prosecute the military members for participating? No I do not.
It is a very fine line to walk, but the fundamental difference is that when the US did this, it was the regular military, not irregular forces that performed the acts.

Don't even think about comparing what is happening in Iraq to the Revolutionary war in the US. They are NOT the same.
During the revolutionary war, the US forces did not target civilians.
US forces did not use children and women as suicide bombers.
US forces did not coerce cooperation by fear and intimidation of the local population.

The Bottom line: The terrorists in Iraq act just like the Viet Cong. They hide amongst the civilians, initiate an attack on US forces. When US forces attempt to defend themselves innocent people become victims.
Who bears the responsibility for the civilian casualties? The terrorists.

Why do you feel we should rename anything? Doesn't the word "terrorist" really describe the person? In layman's terms, a terrorist is one who causes terror in others. Is there really a need to change the names? Thinks of this... at one time a housewife was simply that, now there are all sorts of labels such as "domestic engineer". Or does, African-American really describe the skin color? There are Caucasian Africans, right?

According to Wikipedia: "Freedom fighter" is a term for those engaged in an armed struggle, the main cause of which is to achieve freedom for themselves or obtain freedom for others. Though the literal meaning of the words could include anyone who fights for the cause of freedom"

Please explain how, in your opinion, a known terrorist such as Bin Laden could be honestly labeled as a "Freedom Fighter". Who's freedom is he fighting for? How could hijacking and all of the events of 9-11 come close to being considered Bin Laden acting as a Freedom Fighter?!? I would call those who fight against differences (such as I am not Muslim, therefore I should be killed) "Oppression Fighters".

I dont suggest naming Terrorism exactly into Complex Irregular Warfare, but at least a defined definition, or to define the most commonly used one [Terrorism]. You are not thinking outside the box. To you, the acts of 9/11 and similar are disgusting and horrible. But to others, it is different. I beleive that 9/11 proved that America isnt safe, that nowhere in the world is safe. Bin Laden is fighting for ISLAM, which is a religion that means everything to some people, as does Christianity. Christianity also isnt a very clean religion [Countless amounts of Muslims killed in Europe alone, and a lot of Catholic priests beleive that the white population is superior to Asians and blacks, and that they should be enslaved to do white peoples bidding].

Islam, if you find, was one of the fastest growing religions in the world. They were the second to use Arabic Numerals [After India], they had a good, strong society and a good army. Christianity though, opressed it a lot after a while, and thats why many Islamist countries arent working democracies.

As i said before, One persons terrorist is anothers freedom fighter. To you, Bin Laden is a terrorist, to others, he is a fighter for Islam and prosperity.

An example is me and you alone. What i consider freedom would be much, much MUCH different than your vision of freedom. I dont want to talk about that now, because its not the point of the conversation.

Ahhhhh.

I so love it when we are worried about OFFENDING someone. Remember this "In America he who is offended first is right."

If you are offended that I'm calling your "Freedom Fighter" a "Terrorist" the problem is yours not mine.

I think that the US Code sums it up. [U.S. Code Title 18, Section 2331]
The following is an excerpt. The specifics define the differences between international terrorism and domestic terrorism.

(B)(i) is the most relevant part I think. Terrorists target civilians. Irregular forces do not (else they become terrorists).

In my mind it is very simple. The minute you begin targeting civilians you are a terrorist. This is irrespective of the fact that "they did it first".

Yes I know that the US bombed german cities during WW2 and we dropped nuclear weapons on Japan.
Does it suck for those civilians? Absolutely.
Do I think we should prosecute the military members for participating? No I do not.
It is a very fine line to walk, but the fundamental difference is that when the US did this, it was the regular military, not irregular forces that performed the acts.

Don't even think about comparing what is happening in Iraq to the Revolutionary war in the US. They are NOT the same.
During the revolutionary war, the US forces did not target civilians.
US forces did not use children and women as suicide bombers.
US forces did not coerce cooperation by fear and intimidation of the local population.

The Bottom line: The terrorists in Iraq act just like the Viet Cong. They hide amongst the civilians, initiate an attack on US forces. When US forces attempt to defend themselves innocent people become victims.
Who bears the responsibility for the civilian casualties? The terrorists.

I see, but to people it is extremely offensive. Its as if insulting somebodies family to some people. Would you like it if i called Barak Obama a Fascist supporter that should have his tongue cut off, genitals fed and forced to have sexual interaction with his sister [Or, if your a republican, replace him with McCain]
Or if i called Eisenhower a mass murderer, or if i called George Washington the father of racism and hate?

To you, this might not be offensive. But to some other Americans this could make them throttle me where i stand. If you do not respect a persons view, or feelings, then you are a selfish person. Simple.

Well, i beleive that if you target civillians in warfare with a conventional army, you are to be labeled "Criminal of War" [Saddam Hussein is a good example]. If you attack civillians during peacetime you are to be labelled a "Genocidal criminal" [Or similar, i just thought this one up by the spot].

Yes, America bombed German cities in the great patriotic war, which im not happy for [And im not happy about the Germans also bombing cities, dont forget that]. The bombing should have been done on Military areas, such as a base, airfield, AA gun or baracks. Not on churches, schools, homes and hospitals. I dont think they should be charged/trialled, but it is something that should not be practiced again.
But what the US air force SHOULD have been put to trial about is the Second bombing of Belgrade in 1945 [Or 44]. When the USAF bombed Belgrade to apparently "Destroy remaining German soldiers in the area" when the USA fully well knew that the Fascists have been expelled from Yugoslavia, and that only a tiny amount remained. The civillian deaths in the bombings: 1,200-500
Axis deaths in bombings: 18

Once you figure out the average of the two numbers i put up for civillian deaths, thats 75 civilians for each of the 18 German soldiers. That is something im EXTREMELY not happy about.

The nuclear weapons dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was a move in self defence, but i think a unnecesary one. What the USA should have done is film a test of one [Or photograph it or similar] and send it to the Japanese. That might have caused a surrender.
And the reason Japan surrendered wasnt because of the Nuclear weapons, but because the USSR declared war on Japan aswell, and Japan was afraid of the USSR at the time, and they couldnt afford a two front war. Shame that breif alliance between the USSR and USA didnt last.

Why did you bring up the civil war? It is so painstakingly OBVIOUS that it is nothing like the war in Iraq.

Comparing the terrorists with the Vietcong is like comparing wine to Vodka. The Vietcong didnt hide with the civillians [Not in the North], they WERE the civillians [Not in the actual army, but supporters]. Also, America did burn down many undefended civillian villages.
A fair amount of people in Iraq arent happy about the US presence there. Neither would I. Democracy cannot be forced onto a nation, it must be developed slowly. If America wasnt there for the oil, the best they could have done is silence Hussein, and establish a new government which would get funded by the USA [Perhaps other countries] to rebuild the country economically.

I see, but to people it is extremely offensive. Its as if insulting somebodies family to some people. Would you like it if i called Barak Obama a Fascist supporter that should have his tongue cut off, genitals fed and forced to have sexual interaction with his sister [Or, if your a republican, replace him with McCain]
Or if i called Eisenhower a mass murderer, or if i called George Washington the father of racism and hate?
Ultimately you have to look at the person making the statement.
Since I'm a conservative (NOT REPUBLICAN) then you have my permission to use either Obama or McCain.
Calling Eisenhower a mass murderer or Washington the father of racism will do nothing to change history. You can either accept it or not. I do not.
BTW I would not be offended by any of the above statements.

To you, this might not be offensive. But to some other Americans this could make them throttle me where i stand. If you do not respect a persons view, or feelings, then you are a selfish person. Simple.
I guess I'm selfish. Why on earth would I spend my time, energy, concern worring or concerning myself with what other people think? If I did that I would never get anything else accomplished. Speaking tactfully and respectfully, yes. Worrying about what I say so that I might not offend someone. Forget it. I would never be able to communicate.

Well, i beleive that if you target civillians in warfare with a conventional army, you are to be labeled "Criminal of War" [Saddam Hussein is a good example]. If you attack civillians during peacetime you are to be labelled a "Genocidal criminal" [Or similar, i just thought this one up by the spot].
Agree.

Yes, America bombed German cities in the great patriotic war, which im not happy for [And im not happy about the Germans also bombing cities, dont forget that]. The bombing should have been done on Military areas, such as a base, airfield, AA gun or baracks. Not on churches, schools, homes and hospitals. I dont think they should be charged/trialled, but it is something that should not be practiced again.
But what the US air force SHOULD have been put to trial about is the Second bombing of Belgrade in 1945 [Or 44]. When the USAF bombed Belgrade to apparently "Destroy remaining German soldiers in the area" when the USA fully well knew that the Fascists have been expelled from Yugoslavia, and that only a tiny amount remained. The civillian deaths in the bombings: 1,200-500
Axis deaths in bombings: 18

Once you figure out the average of the two numbers i put up for civillian deaths, thats 75 civilians for each of the 18 German soldiers. That is something im EXTREMELY not happy about.
One civilian casualty is a waste. so in this we are in agreement.

The nuclear weapons dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was a move in self defence, but i think a unnecesary one. What the USA should have done is film a test of one [Or photograph it or similar] and send it to the Japanese. That might have caused a surrender.
And the reason Japan surrendered wasnt because of the Nuclear weapons, but because the USSR declared war on Japan aswell, and Japan was afraid of the USSR at the time, and they couldnt afford a two front war. Shame that breif alliance between the USSR and USA didnt last.
There is no way that Japan would have surrendered otherwise. They were just as racist as the Nazi's and viewed all other peoples as mongrels. Until the end they viewed their culture as superior to all others.

Comparing the terrorists with the Vietcong is like comparing wine to Vodka. The Vietcong didnt hide with the civillians [Not in the North], they WERE the civillians [Not in the actual army, but supporters]. Also, America did burn down many undefended civillian villages.
A fair amount of people in Iraq arent happy about the US presence there. Neither would I. Democracy cannot be forced onto a nation, it must be developed slowly. If America wasnt there for the oil, the best they could have done is silence Hussein, and establish a new government which would get funded by the USA [Perhaps other countries] to rebuild the country economically.

Curious that you say that American went to Iraq for oil. Didn;t the republicans vote down the bill that authorized funding for the war from profits from oil sales?
We did silence Hussein.
We are establishing a new government.
We are funding it.
We are rebuilding their country economically.
The best thing about a democracy is that the people can change it. They can use their votes and elect the people that they want in power to implement the changes they want. The iraqi's are realizing this and are really starting to get involved. Now that the country is a lot more secure they can start worrying about something other than survival.

An example is me and you alone. What i consider freedom would be much, much MUCH different than your vision of freedom. I dont want to talk about that now, because its not the point of the conversation.

Young man, your topic was about the DEFINITION of "Terrorisim", YOU brought in the subject of FREEDOM FIGHTER. I don't know where you were born, raised, etc... but I do know that no matter what your IQ and your upbrining, when you engage in a discussion with others, you show RESPECT! Perhaps, you don't like my opinion or HokieMSG's (which your first post requested). My opinions come from being an American, with a military family background. I believe in the fight, and in the definitions as I understand them. I believe "point" of this forum is to share ideas with all of the members, and gain understanding in either a.) what we do not know or understand, and b.) to share what we do know with others.

You initiated a conversation about labeling terrorisim, both HokieMSG and I have given you "a defined definition". If you have a real question, not just an argumentive spirit, please ask it.

I guess I'm selfish. Why on earth would I spend my time, energy, concern worring or concerning myself with what other people think? If I did that I would never get anything else accomplished. Speaking tactfully and respectfully, yes. Worrying about what I say so that I might not offend someone. Forget it. I would never be able to communicate.

At least try to be sensitive to their views. I TRY HARD to be fair and calm when arguing with Capitalists, but they usually just go "@3%%#$ YOU $%^$#% RED %^&%$" and similar. I simply ment, that you replace the world "Terrorist" with "soldier" [Or something similar]. Or, if the person has no objection to you calling someone they support a terrorist, then thats good. Its hard to come by good, sensible arguments these days.

One civilian casualty is a waste. so in this we are in agreement

As once Stalin said, one death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic [Possibly the ONLY intelligent comment he ever made]

There is no way that Japan would have surrendered otherwise. They were just as racist as the Nazi's and viewed all other peoples as mongrels. Until the end they viewed their culture as superior to all others.

Yes, but in the end Germany surrendered. Therefore, Japan would have surrendered. I think the Soviet heavy tanks would have performed very well against all the Japanese light tanks. Combining the US-USSR would have made a very formidabble force.

Curious that you say that American went to Iraq for oil. Didn;t the republicans vote down the bill that authorized funding for the war from profits from oil sales?
We did silence Hussein.
We are establishing a new government.
We are funding it.
We are rebuilding their country economically.
The best thing about a democracy is that the people can change it. They can use their votes and elect the people that they want in power to implement the changes they want. The iraqi's are realizing this and are really starting to get involved. Now that the country is a lot more secure they can start worrying about something other than survival.

Many Americans agree [Not the average American, but economists and former politicians] that the USA attacked Iraq for oil [The reason being Saddam using chemical weapons].

You did silence Hussein.
You did make a new government.
You are funding it.
The country is staggering in economy.
The peoples morale there is low.

Democracy is a good thing, i never disagree with that. But forcing it down on a country that had such hardship in the past isnt good. Allow a few years for the people to adjust to a new leader. Then establish democracies where it counts alot. In schools, social groups, workplaces and the like. Then you add democracy into the government. The situation in Iraq is a bit too bad to have a government and its policies changing every few years. The work needed to rebuild Iraq wont be done within a year or two. Capitalism would need to get in good with Iraq [Via oil, i dont see any other option for good strong trade].

Young man, your topic was about the DEFINITION of "Terrorisim", YOU brought in the subject of FREEDOM FIGHTER

I mentioned it, then it continued to grow. One mans terrorist is the others freedom fighter.
That statement is, i beleive, very important in a discussion about Terrorism.

I don't know where you were born, raised, etc... but I do know that no matter what your IQ and your upbrining, when you engage in a discussion with others, you show RESPECT! Perhaps, you don't like my opinion or HokieMSG's (which your first post requested).

I was born in Australia, i was raised by a Serbian family, and i view myself as a Serbian, not Australian. I feel no inclination towards Australia.
How am i being disrespectful? Are you paranoid that I, being a "Red", will jump out with a Ak-47 and the flag of a hammer and sickle and start shooting at you singing the Soviet Anthem?
We are in a sensible discussion. If you think that disagreeing with you politely and intelligently is disrespectful, then there would be no reason for me to debate with you on this matter [Though i highly doubt that you think that :p]

I believe "point" of this forum is to share ideas with all of the members, and gain understanding in either a.) what we do not know or understand, and b.) to share what we do know with others.

I understand Terrorism thoroughly, as i have read a fair good books about it. If i am not mistaken, if i asked a question like "Could a F-16 beat a F-18 in a dogfight?", it would be a different thing all together. I would not be asking for a debate, just the answer. This thread is just asking for your opinions, so we can understand each others view on the subject.
And we are sharing what we dont know with others, we are putting our knowledge and intellect together so we can form a conclusion via discussion and debate.

Im not sure if many of you noticed this, but there is no actual official definiton on the world "Terrorism".

Your opinions?

What would you except as an official definition?

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=+0]ter·ror·ism[/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT](t
ebreve.gif
r
prime.gif
schwa.gif
-r
ibreve.gif
z
lprime.gif
schwa.gif
m)[SIZE=-2] (American Heritge Dictionary)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]NOUN: [/SIZE]
The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

This definition has all ready been presented to you. Your original post suggests you will not except any definition of this word. I suggest you use your own description when speaking to others, assuring know one knows what you are talking about.

quote Balkan-MiG
"I dont suggest naming Terrorism exactly into Complex Irregular Warfare, but at least a defined definition, or to define the most commonly used one [Terrorism]. You are not thinking outside the box."

A defined definition?

It is fine to think out side the box. When communicating with others it will be necessary to express your thoughts in words others will understand. It does seem that you use the basic definition of "terrorism' listed above in your posts. If this definition is not what you mean you should choose other words to make your point. (please only "official" definitions).

try this.

A patriot fights for what he believes in against his enemy
A terrorist fights a cowardly fight and kills indiscriminately

that work?

What would you except as an official definition?

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=+0]ter·ror·ism[/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT](t
ebreve.gif
r
prime.gif
schwa.gif
-r
ibreve.gif
z
lprime.gif
schwa.gif
m)[SIZE=-2] (American Heritge Dictionary)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]NOUN: [/SIZE]
The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

Ill accept it as an official definition when the United Nations find one.
If there was a definition that the UN recognises, why does secretary-general Koffi Annan express his dissapointment that the UN legal comittee failed to finalise a comprehensive treaty on terrorism?
As i stated before, there are 13 or so treaties on various subjects of terrorism in the UN, but there is still no agreed standard definition.

I suggest you use your own description when speaking to others, assuring know one knows what you are talking about.

I only use the word terrorism/terrorist because people know what im talking about. And its much easier to say than 'Complex Irregular fighter". Im also willing to accept the term Terrorism if a official definition is made for it by the United Nations.

It is fine to think out side the box. When communicating with others it will be necessary to express your thoughts in words others will understand. It does seem that you use the basic definition of "terrorism' listed above in your posts. If this definition is not what you mean you should choose other words to make your point. (please only "official" definitions)

Sorry, i made a error of English vocabulary there. I ment official.
There is no definition for it at all, thats the problem. There is the definition we use, which others have stated. There is the difficulty of calling somebody a Terrorist, because it might be something they are not. As i said before, Nelson Mandela was labeled as a terrorist by the South African regime, and some of the former members still say he is a terrorist. Would you call Nelson Mandela a terrorist? I certainly wouldnt, to a lot of people, he is a "Freedom Fighter" or similar. To others, he is a "Terrorist".
It doesnt fit. So we could have a new name for it [My suggestion is Complex Irregular Warfare/fighter], or just make a acceptable official definition for "Terrorism" [something that people who beleive our terrorist is a Freedom Fighter wouldnt mind]

Balkan-MiG stated
As once Stalin said, one death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic [Possibly the ONLY intelligent comment he ever made]

He made another when referring to the Soviet People, he called them “Useful idiots.”

Your comment, “I was born in Australia, i was raised by a Serbian family, and i view myself as a Serbian, not Australian. I feel no inclination towards Australia.”

If I were an Australian I would be highly annoyed at that comment, I'd tell your Serbian family to bugger off back to Serbia and take you with them. If you think you are Serbian, then go to Serbia.

I remember years ago where I worked there was a black guy who was always singing the praise about Soviet Russia, communism and how bad UK is. He was told many time to bugger off to Russia, and see how the Soviets would treat him, needless to say he didn't.

My definition of a terrorist would be, “A coward who can only fight defenceless and unarmed civilians," and should be treated accordingly.

Last edited:
How does your post have anything to do with the subject?

Trust me, id gladly go back to Serbia. But we cant afford it [Due to extremely low pay, very high cost of living and ridicoulously expensive doctors].

How does your post have anything to do with the subject?

Trust me, id gladly go back to Serbia. But we cant afford it [Due to extremely low pay, very high cost of living and ridicoulously expensive doctors].

If it has nothing to do with the subject then why did you post it?

Quite frankly if I were an Aussie, I'd have a collection to send you to Serbia.

If you really think life would be better in Serbia, then I suggest that you do everything in your power to go there.

Back