Best Weapons for Jungle Combat ?

HindStrike

Was watching a show about Vietnam and got to wondering, what would be the best weapons for jungle combat? What would you equip yourself and/or your squad with if you were operating in a jungle, mangrove, etc.

The M-16 and the AK-47. There were reasons why these two guns were one of the most used weapons in the Vietnam War. Though it's just my general opinion. I'm no expert in small arms. Military history, maybe

Nay, the M16 and it's deratives would have too light bullets for thick brush, and the AK47 would probably be a better choice, at least when it comes to reliability and actual weight of ammo carried.

Personally I'd prefer something like M14, G3 or a FN FAL.

You need some thing light and short with good hitting power, in the jungle most of what you do is close combat so most of the normal weapons are to large and cumbersome for that sort of fighting. Lets face it they even cut down the old 303 for jungle warfare

The best weapon is the one you have trained with and are most comfortable with. A professional soldier maintains his weapon so that it works in all conditions. And then it´s completely indifferent whether it´s a fully automatic rifel or a bow and arrow. It's the man that makes the difference - not the tool.

In a jungle you either get a patrol/instant contact or you're static waiting for a contact. Most patrol/instant contacts are fast and fleeting - snap shot, drop into kneel, repeat, drop to prone. The first round will be close, the second usually dead-on if you practice. The best weapon on point is a 12g pump.

Last edited:
The best weapon is the one you have trained with and are most comfortable with. A professional soldier maintains his weapon so that it works in all conditions. And then it´s completely indifferent whether it´s a fully automatic rifel or a bow and arrow. It's the man that makes the difference - not the tool.

In a jungle you either get a patrol/instant contact or you're static waiting for a contact. Most patrol/instant contacts are fast and fleeting - snap shot, drop into kneel, repeat, drop to prone. The first round will be close, the second usually dead-on if you practice. The best weapon on point is a 12g pump.

Several good points here, and seeing that the Swedish Carl Gustav M/45 submachinegun was favoured by some of those active in jungle warfare those are points to be taken into serious consideration.

Yes, the m/45 is a relatively simple, blowback operated, 9mm submachine gun that fires from open bolt and it´s relatively easy to train people with no military background to use this weapon. It was the standard smg in the Danish armed forces for many years. I myself have fired this weapon a few times. Excellent weapon with reasonable accuracy.

During the Vietnam War, the US Navy SEALs used the Carl Gustav m/45 SMG extensively, including with suppressors, because it can fire immediately out of the water. The m/45 is a higly reliable weapon and will operate under extreme conditions such as arctic cold and desert heat. According to Danish SOF, who sometimes still use the weapon, you can soak the m/45 in mud, sand and snow - clean it by rinsing it a puddle of water, and it would keep firing.

I still think my UAV and air-conditioned room are winners.

00000031.jpg

You lazy bastard! You slimy ****ing walrus-looking piece of S***! Get the F*** off that soft chair! You´re not in the air farce! NOW! MOVE IT! Or I'm going to rip your balls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world! I will motivate you, Sergeant Can, IF IT SHORT-DICKS EVERY CANNIBAL ON THE CONGO!

Can, it should not be taken seriously.
And once you have tried to sneak around in a jungle where there is more moisture in the air than in a cheerleaders panties and it smells worse than in the boys locker room, then I would choose the same as you.

I've been in my fair share of jungles, mountains, carrying heavy crap, running, all kinds of fun stuff. Never got shot at though.
And I did cross country in the tropics for three years. Yeah. Air-conditioned room with a UAV for me! I'll have a mini fridge as well. And occasional sexy parties with lots of nice women.
Have fun in the jungle.
My kids are going to join the Air Force
LOL

My hunter killer drones will be superb at offense and defense and with sat phone linkup, can speak any language in the government's arsenal.
This is UNBEATABLE!

My hunter killer drones will be superb at offense and defense and with sat phone linkup, can speak any language in the government's arsenal.
This is UNBEATABLE!

For jungle warfare?

You'd have to do some serious amounts of extreme logging first then. :lol:

I can beat you, Can!
I go for a Star Wars battleship.... You know, the one Darth Vader always rides on and kills his own generals

For a more serious tone, I would honestly wouldn't know. I'm not a huge expert on small arms, so don't ask me. If I really had to choose, I would get the m/45 seeing GHR highly recommends it. :)

I carried a Swedish "K" a time or two.
All those old open bolt blowback weapons are dangerous by nature.
None had a positive bolt locking mechanism.
I know of two old timers in SOG who died when they dropped their pieces-one "K' one M1 Thompson.
In thick bush, the vines, etc tangle and pull the cocking handle.
Then there was the wimpy 9mm cartridge.
The best I had was a CAR15-short barrel collapsible stock.. Very handy.

The light bullet was less problematic than some think.

You don't know much about remote sensing do you? ;)

No sir, it makes absolutely no sense to me.
But as I stated earlier, I've never been in any jungle either. :smile:

Why do I get the feeling that A Can of Man is used to hunting blackbear on bait?

Back