Who was the best leader of the Soviet Union?

I do not care who do you think it is but it was not stalin. stalin killed 25 million citizens, he made them slaves and made them build cities and die for it. Sure he led them thru the war, but if he had not shot the officers there would be less casualties

I haven't read his biography (anyone in particular), but have read some of his works. The communist keep free libraries on the net, so you can do a internet search and read his few works he produced. Stalin the philosopher... HA.

Kirill K said:
IMO the best leader for SOVIET UNION was Nikita Khrushchev, he helped the SU through the WW2, and many number of reasons.

Well, he did save the world from nuclear holocaust, I will give him that.

Damien435 said:
Kirill K said:
IMO the best leader for SOVIET UNION was Nikita Khrushchev, he helped the SU through the WW2, and many number of reasons.

Well, he did save the world from nuclear holocaust, I will give him that

Pssssh! I saved the world from nuclear holocaust, but you don't see ME bragging about it.

Red_Army said:
In my opinion, the best leader of the Soviet Union is Leonid Brezhnev. His leadership brought world attention with his country's accomplishments in outer space, athletic ability, and military power.

1917–22 Vladimir Ilich Lenin
1922–53 Joseph Stalin
1953–64 Nikita Khrushchev
1964–82 Leonid Brezhnev
1982–84 Yuri Andropov
1984–85 Konstantin Chernenko
1985–91 Mikhail Gorbachev

I'd say Gorbachev, then Krushchev because only during his term was Soviet space technology more advanced than that of the USA.

Gorbachev might be the western world's favortie, but lots of russians today are not very fond of him...

they blame him for the chaotic transformation that leads to serious problems still in today's russian society, such as orgnized crime, corruption, poor performance of economy.

Well, it is hard to decide. Let's start with Lenin. He started it all. But he didn't live long enough to accomplish much. Stalin. He did defeate the Germans, but he killed millions of his own people. Kruschev. He did start to de-stalinize the country and he did do alot for the space program. But he did make the Soviet Union look weak during the Cuban missile crises. Brenschev. He kinda re-stalinized the country. but he did create the most powerful military in the world. however he stagnated the economy. The other two guys after him dont count. the only ruled two years or so. Gorbachav. He really screwed up. he led to the collapse of the Soviet Union! He did however win the nobel peace prize. but he led to the demise of the whole Soviet System. So i would have to say Lenin. He really was what got the system started for all of the other leaders to screw it up somehow. He was truly honest about communism. he wasn't corrupt. He truely wanted to create a utopia.

demonzx said:
Well, it is hard to decide. Let's start with Lenin. He started it all. But he didn't live long enough to accomplish much. Stalin. He did defeate the Germans, but he killed millions of his own people. Kruschev. He did start to de-stalinize the country and he did do alot for the space program. But he did make the Soviet Union look weak during the Cuban missile crises. Brenschev. He kinda re-stalinized the country. but he did create the most powerful military in the world. however he stagnated the economy. The other two guys after him dont count. the only ruled two years or so. Gorbachav. He really screwed up. he led to the collapse of the Soviet Union! He did however win the nobel peace prize. but he led to the demise of the whole Soviet System. So i would have to say Lenin. He really was what got the system started for all of the other leaders to screw it up somehow. He was truly honest about communism. he wasn't corrupt. He truely wanted to create a utopia.

I agree. But i think this question is frased wrong. From whose perspective is he "good"? As a russian Gorbachev is a, well i will leave that blank. But to many Westerners he is a World hero, and so he got the Nobel Peace prize

Back