About Australian PM warns of 'specific' terror threat
|November 2nd, 2005||#1|
| || |
Australian PM warns of 'specific' terror threat info
Prime Minister John Howard says the Federal Government has received specific intelligence about a potential terrorist threat in Australia.
At a press conference, Mr Howard would not give further details, citing operational security reasons.
"The Government has received specific intelligence from police information this week, which gives cause for serious concern about a potential terrorist threat," Mr Howard told reporters.
"I do not intend, and can not, go into any of the operational details. We have seen material, it is a cause for concern."
Mr Howard says the Senate will be recalled tomorrow to pass an amendment relating to the description of a terrorist act.
He says the amendment to existing counter-terrorism laws would allow authorities to deal with the threat.
He says the amendment will be introduced to the House of Representatives this afternoon after Question Time.
The amendment is separate from the Government's proposed counter-terrorism legislation that Mr Howard says will be introduced to the Parliament soon.
Mr Howard says the specific terrorist threat became known recently but he has refused to detail the information.
"All the detail of this information has been provided by me and the Attorney-General, to the Leader of the Opposition, and to the shadow minister for homeland security," he said.
The announcement from Mr Howard came as ASIO in its annual report publicly outlined the threats to Australia.
ASIO says that some of the extremists it has been investigating were born in Australia.
If I am asked what we are fighting for, I can reply in two sentences. In the first place, to fulfil a solemn international obligation . . . an obligation of honor which no self-respecting man could possibly have repudiated. I say, secondly, we are fighting to vindicate the principle that small nationalities are not to be crushed in defiance of international good faith at the arbitrary will of a strong and overmastering Power.
Author: Rt. Hon. Herbert Henry Asquith
Source: Statement, to House of Commons, Declaration of War with Germany, Aug. 4, 1914
|November 2nd, 2005||#2|
| || |
Sure there is..................
Christ thats like saying its gunna rain sometime this week, or the summers gunna be a hot one.
Sweeping statements like that are only going to worry people.
Or is that what he wants so they can push through the new laws??????
Or take our attention of the new workplace reforms???
|November 2nd, 2005||#3|
| || |
It might explain why he has be trying to push the laws through so fast.
"Even if I wished to surrender to you - and I don't - I am commanding Australian's who would cut my throat if I accepted your Terms" Colonel C Hore, Siege of Elands River, 1900
If You want to See the Future, Read a History Book
|November 2nd, 2005||#4|
| || |
Australian and Italy find themselves in the same situation now. Our governments have been warning about specific threats too. We expect terrorist attacks on our country within April, when general elections are going to be held. Our top officials have repeatedly stated the threat is not to be taken lightly.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it".
|November 3rd, 2005||#5|
| || |
|November 8th, 2005||#6|
| || |
AUSTRALIAN security agencies appear to have averted a major terrorist attack on home soil with a series of dramatic raids on a suspected terrorist network this morning.
Sixteen people were arrested and are facing terrorism-related charges.
Government and police officials said today some of the group had been stockpiling chemicals to make an explosive device.
Most of the alleged terrorists appeared in court today. Among them was Adbul Nacer Benbrika, the radical Islamic cleric also known as Abu Bakr.
A court in Melbourne heard Benbrika was the co-ordinator and spiritual leader of the group.
The seven held in Sydney were today charged with conspiring to manufacture explosives in preparation for a terrorist act.
The seven were named in court as Mohamed Ali Elomar, 40, of Bankstown, Khaled Sharrouf, 24, of Wiley Park, Moustafa Cheikho, 28, of Wiley Park, Khaled Cheikho, 32, of Wiley Park, Mazen Touma, 25, of Bankstown, Abdul Rhakib Hasan and Mirsad Mulahalilovic.
Some 500 police officers, a combination of state police officers and federal agents, launched more than 20 raids on properties in Sydney and Melbourne simultaneously at 2.30am this morning.
Later in the morning, one of the suspects tried to flee, firing gunshots at police. Officers returned fire and the man was taken to hospital with serious injuries.
Police seized documentation and computer hard drives from the targeted addresses in several Sydney suburbs including Wiley Park and Lakemba, while homes in Melbourne's suburbs of Brunswick, Coburg and Broadmeadows were raided.
It has been claimed the group may have been plotting a terrorist spectacular on the scale of the al-Qaeda attacks on London and Madrid. ( More: Chemical 'threat')
NSW Police Commissioner Ken Moroney said the group's plans, if successful, would have been "catastrophic".
Authorities have not yet identified any specific targets the suspects were planning to attack.
The first details of the charges against the 16 terror suspects were outlined in a Melbourne court today.
Victorian police had more than 240 hours of phone intercepts in which the group discussed plans to kill Australian civilians, the court heard.
Some of the group had attended military training, and they had a pooled fund of money to finance alleged plots, the court heard.
Benbrika was the co-ordinator and spiritual leader of the group, prosecutor Richard Maidment QC said.
"It is alleged that all of the persons who have been before the court this morning along with another not presently in custody constitutes a terrorist organisation," Mr Maidment said.
"That organisation is directed by the defendant Benbrika.
"Each of the members of the group are committed to the cause of violent jihad," he said.
The arrests come just days after the Federal Government rushed changes to anti-terrorist legislation through Parliament.
Prime Minister John Howard warned the changes were necessary because "specific intelligence and police information" indicated a group was close to carrying out a terrorist spectacular on Australian soil.
Victorian Premier Steve Bracks said documents and computer hard drives had been seized and that in Sydney some chemicals had been seized.
Surprise Surprise, over 7 years ago a know Arab Terrorist was arrested in Melbourne as was seen of the TV show "Crime Stoppers". How many people saw the writing on the wall then? I think the threat must have been reasonably significant for such a rapid response after the laws where passed. As to how long they have averted an attack with such a large Muslim community here in Oz who knows, but it is nice to see something being done..... at last.
I just hope the new laws will withstand the bleeding hearts .....
|November 8th, 2005||#7|
| || |