SYDNEY, Oct 27, 2006 (AFP) - Australia should keep its troops in Iraq in
order to protect the country's ties with superpower ally the United States,
Prime Minister John Howard said.

Howard, a keen supporter of US President George W. Bush's administration,
told supporters at a dinner in New South Wales late Thursday he stood by his
domestically unpopular decision to send troops to Iraq and would assume
responsibility for it.

Loyalty and friendship were critically important and were only tested when
under pressure, the conservative prime minister stressed.

"And the idea that Australia could walk out of Iraq and walk out of the
coalition (of the willing), and imagine that that would be prosperous in
terms of our alliance and our friendship with the United States is living in
fairyland," he said.

"Part of our obligation as a good friend to the people of the United States
is to understand the importance of maintaining a place in that alliance and
the importance of maintaining our involvement in the coalition," he said.

Pulling troops out of Iraq would also condemn the country to certain civil
war, he said.

Australia joined the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, and still has about
1,300 troops involved in operations in the area.

But Howard is coming under intense pressure from the public and political
rivals to withdraw the force, as the US appears to sway in its commitment to
stay in Iraq until complete peace and democracy are installed.

An ACNielsen poll published earlier this month found that 59 percent of
Australians say their nation's troops should leave Iraq now, with only 36
percent believing they should stay.

my personal opinion on that overall and this particular part of what was said "Howard, a keen supporter of US President George W. Bush"

if mr howard would stop being bushes lil lap dog maby we wouldnt have got into iraq in the 1st place.
Removed by admin

it is one thing to have allies...but our prime minister is nothing but a lap dog to bush and thats taking things too far.

my personal opinion on that overall and this particular part of what was said "Howard, a keen supporter of US President George W. Bush"

if mr howard would stop being bushes lil lap dog maby we wouldnt have got into iraq in the 1st place.
Removed by admin

it is one thing to have allies...but our prime minister is nothing but a lap dog to bush and thats taking things too far.

i heard similar reactions to mr. blair a while ago

Removed by admin

Is English your first language?
:read:

Removed by admin

You are an embarrassment to Australians. Watch your language. If you don't like Howard, say so with a rational comment. If not, keep it to yourself.

You are an embarrassment to Australians. Watch your language. If you don't like Howard, say so with a rational comment. If not, keep it to yourself.

as i said it is my personal opinion. this is a discussion board, i am not forcing my beliefs onto you i am merely expressing how i feel on the topic at hand, nobody has to agree with me.

Aye, but there are rules as to how you are allowed to present those beliefs on this forum. If you haven't read the rules it would behoove you to do so.

fine i'll go read the rules again

i feel like im back in school in detention:salute: :mrgreen: lol

edit : just read em sir

Last edited:

Removed by admin

young Prince: bear in mind that the Bali bombings that killed many Australians who were the deliberate target of Muslim extremists, occured in October 2002 and the present Iraq war commenced in March 2003. Also if only some of the information leaking out about the Sydney Kings Cross bomb plot is true (the full story is sketchy) then extremists were ploting death and destruction - in some shape or form - at the Sydney Olympic Games in 2000.

For these and other reasons the 'War on Terror' involves Australia independent of the USA, and PRE-DATES the current Iraqi operation which by the way was/is wanted and welcomed by pro-democratic Iraqis. These human beings want peace and freedom. We can help win it for them.

As for your style of commentary follow the good advice of Bulldogg and AussieNick

Well, I think its probably reasonable for Australians to question whether their troops could be more usefully fighting the war on islamic extremism closer to home. Given the insurrection in the Muslim areas of the Philippines, insurgency in southern Thailand, Indonesian-backed destabilisation of East Timor, there are significant security problems in their own back yard.

Well, I think its probably reasonable for Australians to question whether their troops could be more usefully fighting the war on islamic extremism closer to home. Given the insurrection in the Muslim areas of the Philippines, insurgency in southern Thailand, Indonesian-backed destabilisation of East Timor, there are significant security problems in their own back yard.

Nah no problems there. We've got enough troops to keep poking the hornets nest at home as well.

young Prince: bear in mind that the Bali bombings that killed many Australians who were the deliberate target of Muslim extremists, occured in October 2002 and the present Iraq war commenced in March 2003. Also if only some of the information leaking out about the Sydney Kings Cross bomb plot is true (the full story is sketchy) then extremists were ploting death and destruction - in some shape or form - at the Sydney Olympic Games in 2000.

For these and other reasons the 'War on Terror' involves Australia independent of the USA, and PRE-DATES the current Iraqi operation which by the way was/is wanted and welcomed by pro-democratic Iraqis. These human beings want peace and freedom. We can help win it for them.

As for your style of commentary follow the good advice of Bulldogg and AussieNick

you are correct there. but my opinion is we should stick to home shores, and improve national defence not go off to countries invading and attacking people that alot of them (im not saying all) have never layed a finger on a australian citizen. im sorry but i just dont see how we can justify going to foran country, then a new threat is discovered in yet another country so we have to go there...and so on.
does that make sense?:)

Back