Atomic bomb.

do u think that the use of the atomic bomb in ww2 was needed?

• Yep. (why?)

Votes: 25 89.3%
  • Not really no. (why?)

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
I voted yes. Because we need it against the Japanese. Japanese will fight to last man but we don't want that because our Marines and GIs will die in million if we invaded Japan.

I voted yes.

Theoretically, it was possible(in hindsight) to bring the Japanese to the peace talks, however, the requirement of their capitulation just strenghtened their resolve to die for their Emperor. We know now that some assurance on this matter could have some effect.
But then it was not known...

Not only did it save lives but also made one hell of a statement towards Stalin. The US had working a-bombs and thus called the shots in the international stage of world politics. They weren't the best of friends for a while now and this sure made a good impression.

It brought a very bloody war to an end, and in doing so saved millions of lives, both Japanese and Allied. If the Allied forces had to fight across Japan like the Americans had to fight for those islands in the Pacific then it would have been a blood bath

By the time the Allies made it across the Pacific, it was obvious that losing so many Marines and other forces to root out a thousand Japanese from small islands, Japan was to be the Mother Of All Battles, and our armed forces and America as a whole were ready to do anything to stop the slaughter of people on both sides.

I think someone just screwed up and clicked on the wrong button and now they're ashamed to tell us they were a putz. Come on, be a man/woman and `fess up. :-D :-D :-D

^heh, yeah cmon, not like we going to do anything really.. We are actually going to smile and be happy for some reason lol.. Dont be shy :)

oh its okay

Yeah, just tell us who voted no. Don't worry, we won't bite you. Can you give us a reason why you voted no. We still won't bite you. ;)

I voted yes.. saved many lives. I dont see how inhumane the bomb is.. it still bring the same result = death.. war brings death to opponents.. LeMay killed more japs with his assults than the 2 bombs.. since it gives radiation; isnt it like a chemical weapon also?

I voted no. Now dont get your panties in a bunch i have a reason and im going to tell you what it is. Now like many of you I used to believe that dropping "Little Boy" was justified, I even yelled down my teacher and the whole social justice group once in class.

But one day I was taking a drive and listening to the radio and they were interviewing Paul W. Tibbets (man who flew the enola gay). Paul didnt have any objections to dropping the bomb and he said he would do it again if his duty called for him to do so. He then went on to tell about why he thought dropping the bomb was completely useless. When Germany surrendered Japan offered terms of her surrender with only one request, that their Emperor not be emprisoned for war crimes. The U.S. did not accept these terms, to try and force their own terms on the Japanese their dropped the first atomic bomb. After destroying hiroshima they sent Japan their new terms of surrender. Japan once again requested that the emperor not be tried. The U.S. dropped a second bomb and sent another terms of surrender to the japanese. The japanses sent back their terms requesting that their emperor not be emprisoned. Instead of dropping a third bomb the U.S. agreed and the war ended.

Now my point is Japan surrendered with the same terms it would of surrendered with before two atomic bombs were dropped so I question what was accomplished by dropping the bombs, they didnt change anything.

Please comment because i dont know if this is the truth its just what i heard Paul say.

I haven't heard about Japan offering surrender *before* the bombs were dropped. The military members of the ruling 'Big Six' wanted to reject the Potsdam Decleration outright. Even after both atomic bombs had been dropped the cabinet was still split 3-3 about whether the just ask that the emperor remain in power, or to further demand that Japan handle her own disarmament, deal with any Japanese war criminals herself and that there be no occupation of Japan. It took the personal intervention of the Emperor for Japan to finally surrender.

Back