Asthma and USAFA

streichen

I'm a high school senior applying to the Air Force Academy. I was diagnosed with asthma when I was three or so, but have not experienced any problems with it for about four years, maybe more. What I am particularly concerned about is that I have been on daily, preventative medication (not a fast-action inhaler) until very recently and fear a medical disqualification. I am in good physical shape and really believe that I've outgrown my asthma, but the Academy website says that diagnosis at any age is grounds for disqualification. Does anyone know anything about this? Do I have a chance of not being DQ'd? If not, do I have a chance of getting a waiver? I desperately want to attend the academy, but if my chances are zero I don't want to waste my time. Finally, when applying for a waiver, how heavily do they weigh other criteria? (i.e. My academic qualifications are very good - will this have a large influence in getting a waiver?) Sorry for the long post, but I need help!

You will miss 100% of the shots you don't take. I say go for it! If it's what you really want to do, you will find a way to do it.

Back