Art of battle

Diponegoro

Battle is a thing that needs perfect strategy, luck, and good officer to manage it.
In your opinion which’s battle is the most effective and most efficient? On the other side maybe you can tell me which battle that not effective and not efficient? Give me a good reason to support your opinion. I hope we can make good discussions in this forum.

I would argue that success is battle is more reliant on training. The better trained troops most always have better morale and better tactics and react faster and inflict more damage on the enemy. Even without an officer or ignorance of the grand strategy a well trained force will win the day.

What did Napoleon say about the his battles and his Generals, "I have plenty of clever generals but just give me a lucky one" It does not matter just how hard you try, or train but there are so many things that can go wrong and often do. With a lucky general if things go wrong other things just seem to go right and counteract and cancel out what has gone wrong, even if he has not planned it that way.

A bit of luck and government are good, but you'd be a fool to trust in either of them. -paraphrase by Jefferson.

LeEnfield said:
What did Napoleon say about the his battles and his Generals, "I have plenty of clever generals but just give me a lucky one" It does not matter just how hard you try, or train but there are so many things that can go wrong and often do. With a lucky general if things go wrong other things just seem to go right and counteract and cancel out what has gone wrong, even if he has not planned it that way.

So Napoleon thinking he was lucky or need some lucky generals to win a battle more then clever one.
But I think recent military are not using that motto even Napoleon was a great leader.

Abraham Lincoln lamented for years that the Northern Army of suppression ( :) ) didn't have any generals who would FIGHT and I believe was quoted as responding to a question from an aide about what he wanted and he said "Just give me someone who will fight." Hence, his willingness to promote US Grant, an unabashed alcoholic and the worst tactician in US military history, simply because he DID have the will to step up to the CSA and get down and dirty. So perhaps the will to fight is most important or at least a very necessary ingredient for success.

Back