Army or Marines? - Page 5

Read more about Snipers are bad news, we had some Scout Snipers around were I was stationed at. But for me, I could not be a sniper, I just prefer to blow shit up with C-4(Combat Eng. 10

Military Medals Store

International Military Forums > >

User Name
Password

June 13th, 2004   #41
Snauhi

how do you know what army isnt a challenge you havent been there.

And of course it dependse on your physical performence.

-
June 13th, 2004   #42
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnderSafe
Wrong. Infantry is infantry, Army or Marines - during a war, doesn't matter who you are with, you are going to be on the "front lines." I suggest you think long and hard about that "front line combat experience" you desire. If you are simply looking for some "action", go out to south central LA and shout racial slurs. You may want to think long and hard about your reasons.
But how often are we in a major war? I was referring to the fact that the Marines are sent in on peacekeeping missions all around the world. And those happen many times a year where as we have a war like Iraq once every ten years, and quite a few of the troops over there are National Guard units, because we don't have enough troops and they are being spread to thin.

And I don't mean to be disrespectful to any Army people, but lets face it, the Marines are much more physically challenging, while the Army is starting to get more technical the Marinse still rely on brute strength alot more than the Army does. I play sports in High School, I work out for those sports, we have had several people go from High School sports to the Marines, they said they trained harder for sports than they did for the Marines. So they still may not be much of a challenge there, but I doubt it.

June 13th, 2004   #43
Pogue

why do you want to see combat that bad? War is hell.

June 13th, 2004   #44
782.matt

Join the branch that you want the most. It seems like even though Rnder has made it clear both are a fine choice, you want to hear, "join the Marines." So join em'. You obviously want it more.

June 13th, 2004   #45
Gunner13

Any good Soldier with a sense of history admires and respects the Marines. After all:

1. We still owe them for Korea - Pusan Perimeter in particular.

2. They save us from having to go to sea - with the Navy anyway.

What it really comes down to is:

1. What do you want to do - what appeals most to you?

2. How much do you like the sea? Let's face it - not many US Army units go on floats for 6 to 8 months or do regular rotations as amphibious troops.

I'd rather be a Soldier with a mule and mountain gun, than Knight of old, with spurs of gold, or Roman, Greek or Hun. For when there's trouble brewing, they always send for me!

Mortui Non Mordent - Celeritas Et Accuratio

June 13th, 2004   #46
Desert Blossom

Eh, just do 'em both!
Join one and if you don't like it then after your enlistment is up join the other one. That's what I'm doing. I have a year and a half left in this enlistment and as soon as I'm out of the AF I'm going into the Marines.

The AF has this really snazzy thing going on right now called the Blue to Green program. Interesting things I tell ya.

June 14th, 2004   #47
RnderSafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
And I don't mean to be disrespectful to any Army people, but lets face it, the Marines are much more physically challenging, while the Army is starting to get more technical the Marinse still rely on brute strength alot more than the Army does. I play sports in High School, I work out for those sports, we have had several people go from High School sports to the Marines, they said they trained harder for sports than they did for the Marines. So they still may not be much of a challenge there, but I doubt it.
You aren't being disrespectful, you're being ignorant. Let's face it, you have absolutely no clue as to what you are talking about. Instead of stating how you assume things are, you need to ask.

As I have already said, infantry is infantry - it is a tough life.

Go to a recruiter, get some information and make your decision. Quit making excuses for choosing one over the other, they both have much to offer and both have their challenges.

June 14th, 2004   #48
lil Lt

Is that Blue to Green thing a real program?

C/2nd Lt. Mar
Color Guard OIC
El Camino HS
Oceanside, Ca

June 14th, 2004   #49
Desert Blossom

Yes sir it is!
They are offering AF individuals the chance to join the Army as long as they can meet Army physical standards and some other stuff. It has to do with the force re-shaping.

June 15th, 2004   #50
silent driller

Marine Corps. When they put you through infantry training, it ain't no frikin joke. And you have the honor of being on of the Few and the Proud!

Whatever was sufficient to get us to this point is insufficient to get us any further.

Tags
corrected, join, sniper, vision, wondering