Army Divers and Navy Seals - Page 2

Read more about X amount of USCG personel can go to BUDS per year, mostly O ranks and they get attached to Teams and can cross over from USCG to USN. In reality USCG loses these people.

International Military Forums > >
User Name
Password

August 9th, 2010   #11
Hook160th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukpike
If you join the Marines you can become a Seal, as Seals are drawn from both the Navy and Marines.
Marines can not become SEALS without transferring to the Navy.

--
August 9th, 2010   #12
Hook160th

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ
Says nothing about Marines being elegible.
In service transfers talks about SAILORS.

Now I know some Marines goes through BUD/s but they do not head for SEAL Teams.
To become part of a SEAL Team you must be a sailor, complete BUD/s and SQT.
Marines heading for MARSOC may attend BUD/s still I am alittle unclear on that part but they do not head for SEAL Teams.
03 or PJ will know the poop on that.

//KJ.
Marines go through BUD/S? Where are you getting this information?

August 9th, 2010   #13
c/Commander

No. Navy and Coast Guard are eligible for BUD/S - Marines must do an interservice transfer to even think about going.

Lieutenant Junior Grade, USN

August 9th, 2010   #14
FutureArmyDiver

Quote:
If you join the Marines you can become a Seal, as Seals are drawn from both the Navy and Marines.
Never had any interest in Marines, they didnt have anything that appealed to me..

August 9th, 2010   #15
Chukpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ
Says nothing about Marines being eligible.
In service transfers talks about SAILORS.

Now I know some Marines goes through BUD/s but they do not head for SEAL Teams.
To become part of a SEAL Team you must be a sailor, complete BUD/s and SQT.
Marines heading for MARSOC may attend BUD/s still I am alittle unclear on that part but they do not head for SEAL Teams.
03 or PJ will know the poop on that.

//KJ.
I stand corrected, only Navy or Coast Guard.
Marines may not have a "Special Forces" equivalent to SEALs or Delta, closest might be RECON or Sniper.

(not knocking anyones "Special Forces" but bad movies have distorted the meaning of "Special Forces")

But becoming part of any special force unit requires men to pass requirements at each level.

I took and passed the physical fitness test in boot camp (Then it was SEAL/UDT) which made me eligible to go SEAL after boot camp, it did not mean I would be guaranteed.
Strength is not the most important part in passing, endurance is.

MARSOC(Only formed in the last 5 years) can be seen here:

http://www.marines.mil/unit/marsoc/Pages/default.aspx

Here is an interesting down loadable pdf(44 pages) on Special Forces world wide entitled Tip of the Spear :
http://www.marines.mil/unit/marsoc/D...p-Of-Spear.pdf

August 9th, 2010   #16
A Can of Man

Nevermind................

Last edited by A Can of Man; August 9th, 2010 at 22:32..

August 9th, 2010   #17
Chukpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ24
SEALs are Navy. Only four Coasties per year may attend BUD/s and SQT, once they graduate they will be assigned a SEAL team like every other SEAL. Only when their team time is up will they return to the CG, so for all intents and purposes, they are Navy SEALs until they return to the CG.
I corrected that Marines could not become SEALs, but whatever.
I was talking about who can join the SEALs, thanks for confirming Coasties can apply and become SEALs as I stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ24
There is one Special Forces element in the US Military and they belong to the Army, wear a green beret and have crappy beards. Their bread and butter is FID and UW, though like with all other SOF, they stay up on core requirements such as DA, HN, SR, etc. Like the SEALs, they are a Special Operations Force. Their title is Special Forces and no one else in the US military has claim to it.

There's really no distortion on what is and isn't Special Operations within the US military. It's pretty cut and dry.

I'm not trying to be a dick to you, but frankly, you don't know what you're talking about and all you've done is cause confusion with regards to the issue and make completely false statements.
"(not knocking anyones "Special Forces" but bad movies have distorted the meaning of "Special Forces")"quote chukpike

This was to point out the over use of "Special Forces", "Special Operation Forces" by young people wanting to join. "Special Forces" through improper usage has become a generic term

Since you are getting nit-picky:
Just for clarification SEALs are Naval Special Warfare personnel.

Source:
http://www.sealchallenge.navy.mil/se...roduction.aspx

Maybe you can satisify what the overall worldwide understanding of whether "Special Forces" or "Special Operations Forces" is the proper generic term.

Last edited by Chukpike; August 9th, 2010 at 23:36..

August 9th, 2010   #18
A Can of Man

Quote:
Since you are getting nit-picky:
Just for clarification SEALS are Naval Special Warfare personnel.
Since you love being nit picky:
Just for clarification, it's SEALs. The last "s" is not capitalized.

August 9th, 2010   #19
Chukpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Can of Man
Since you love being nit picky:
Just for clarification, it's SEALs. The last "s" is not capitalized.
Thanks for the help. Even I, sometimes make a typo. I have added it to my spell checker to try and eliminate the problem.

August 9th, 2010   #20
A Can of Man

I have not seen many but I have seen Marines who had received SEAL training.

Tags
army, diver, join, navy, seals