Army Diver

therise21

I was wondering about being an army diver. I have heard that there arent many slots open, so it is pretty competitive. I was wondering where they train and just how competitive it is. Anyone have any info or experience with this?

4 years active duty and I had no idea the Army even HAD divers. What the hell do we need divers for? The Army doesn't even own a boat.

You sure you're not thinking Navy, bro?

I believe they train with Special Forces in Florida. And yes we do need divers, but it is a very small community.

lol I have friends on boats. We have hovercraft too...

Arent the divers on special operation forces and not Army Special Forces? (not to say SF dont get bubbles...)

I stand corrected.

Like I said, I didn't know we had them. But I did say that we don't even own a boat. My bad, and my apologies.

Carry on.

4 years active duty and I had no idea the Army even HAD divers. What the hell do we need divers for? The Army doesn't even own a boat.

You sure you're not thinking Navy, bro?

Positive. I think its mos 21d or something. I talked to a few recruiters on the goarmy website and they said it is one of the toughest courses because there are so few slots available for it.

The school at least WAS at Key West Fl.
As I remember the course were mostly Open Circuit (Scuba) oriented, but some work with closed circuits occured.
Surface swims are covered in this part and throughout the course.
I believe the CC portion has been discontinued and replaced with a[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=+1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=+1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=+1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=+1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=+1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Water Infiltration Course. (Klepper operations, Zodiak operations and navigation, surface swims for example.)

Good luck in reaching your goals..
//KJ.

[/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

I honestly think that would be a dream job. I am going to have to do some research on what the USMC offers for this type of thing!

The Corps has no MOS for diver or scuba. It's B mod 9952. You'd need to be in a billet that needs Combatant Diver qualification as an operational requirement to guarentee a spot at dive school. Failing that you'd need to find a dive school quota thats not being used and try to convince someone to let you have it. Even then you wouldn't get to use the skills unless you were in a dive billet.

The Corps does very little in the way of salvage or repair the Navy Divers do that so the dive billets are all focused towards combat missions.

Last edited:
Army Divers

If anyone would like further information regarding this training send me a message or reply on here. I served from 98-03 and was an Army Diver. The school we go to is at the NDSTC (Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center) in Panama City Florida. It is about 6 months long and then you do additional training in explosives and specialized army diving techniques... All in all you go through about 8-9 months of training... The hardest part of the training is the 2 weeks before dive school... That is the pre screen phase... You have to make it through that to qualify for dive school... That training is in Ft Leonard Wood, MO...

For those that were mentioning the SF combat dive school, that is down in Key West. It always has been... that is different than being a deep sea diver in the Army... Some of the scuba training is similar but their focus is different than ours.... The Marines do have a combat diver as well and their training is at NDSTC also... All branches of the military that has divers go through some kind of training at NDSTC...

If you are interested in signing up for this training or seeing if there are any slots available you can contact the Army Liason Office at NDSTC.

https://www.netc.navy.mil/centers/ceneoddive/ndstc/default.cfm?fa=courses.custom&pg=armydiver

That is a list of all the types of training offered at the NDSTC. HOOYAH!!!

If anyone would like further information regarding this training send me a message or reply on here. I served from 98-03 and was an Army Diver. The school we go to is at the NDSTC (Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center) in Panama City Florida. It is about 6 months long and then you do additional training in explosives and specialized army diving techniques... All in all you go through about 8-9 months of training... The hardest part of the training is the 2 weeks before dive school... That is the pre screen phase... You have to make it through that to qualify for dive school... That training is in Ft Leonard Wood, MO...

For those that were mentioning the SF combat dive school, that is down in Key West. It always has been... that is different than being a deep sea diver in the Army... Some of the scuba training is similar but their focus is different than ours.... The Marines do have a combat diver as well and their training is at NDSTC also... All branches of the military that has divers go through some kind of training at NDSTC...

If you are interested in signing up for this training or seeing if there are any slots available you can contact the Army Liason Office at NDSTC.

https://www.netc.navy.mil/centers/ceneoddive/ndstc/default.cfm?fa=courses.custom&pg=armydiver

That is a list of all the types of training offered at the NDSTC. HOOYAH!!!

What a great asset to this site with your specialized experience! Truly a BTDT-type.

I was Army Infantry, and I never even knew that we HAD divers. Army... divers? They just don't naturally correlate.

My friend, I hope you stick around and peruse and comment on the other areas of this board. We're a great bunch of guys and gals; and though we do tend to disagree at times, no one here would hesitate to put themselves in harm's way for another.

I'd really appreciate your input on this site in other areas.

Army diving is now also in the National Guard

There are now two Army heavy dive teams in the National Guard. One in Texas, the other in Puerto Rico. For more information, including a description of what Army diving is like and what it takes to join, visit 627dive.com

Back