Arctic Warfare

StevenPreece

Did any of you guys serve in Norway during the cold war.

The coldest temperature I experienced there was minus 45° C. With the windchill that day it was minus 73°C. Bloody freeeeeeeeezing.

Steven Preece

Last edited by a moderator:
My coldest was -27 Celsius. I have no idea how cold it was at night, but I do remember that waking up and getting dressed and up to the gun line was an adventure I do not want to repeat.

Dean.

StevenPreece said:
Did any of you guys serve in Norway during the cold war.

The coldest temperature I experienced there was minus 45° C. With the windchill that day it was minus 73°C. Bloody freeeeeeeeezing.

Not during the cold war, but we went through the course at ATC/N (good stuff) and Dombas (not sure if that is still going as it was in the 90s). White fish, black bread, plenty of alcohol, been warmer, been colder. I kinda like it, the cold doesn't bother me too much unless it's in the water. I was stationed in Iceland at Keflavik NAS. Nothing was worse than having to get into that freezing cold ocean for training/rescues, now that was just too damn cold. Hypothermia became as common as a headache.

I'd rather be cold that hot, oddly enough.

Me too. Coldest temperature I experienced was minus 30 °C in Western Canada. Coming from an island where 10 °C in January is already a bit too cool, that was something totally new for me.

Yup, I take my Miami heat with me.

Everywhere I have gone. There has been no snow.

Don't know why. It's just funny.

Coldest I've been in is -40F with wind chill of -90F, in Alaska. I was in elementary school and had to walk to school hehe. It hasn't been that cold ever since.

The coldest temperature we had here was about -48 degrees celsius but during my military service the coldest temperature was somewhere between -34 or -36, and we had to go to the rifle range that day, that sucked:-(

It doesn't get all that cold here... -20 degrees celcius was the worst we got last winter I think. The main issue was the snow and ice... so a lot of our training got scrubbed because they were afraid our trucks would slip off the road.
I have very little issues with the cold. Just heat kills me.

-45 to -48 C or around that, but that was just a usual day outside in the north, had nothing to do with anything military

-25 C in the Appalachians. I like "cold" weather, but I'll admit that was a bit extreme for me. 0 C or close to it is just about as cold as it needs to be for me. I'm much more comfortable in cold weather. After all, you can always put more on, but you can only take so much off.

Hmmm, coldest I've ever been is a whopping -2 degrees centigrade. There isn't really much chance to freeze around here.

-27 C for two months in a row. Suffered severe frostbites on my right thumb the day before the temperature rose to -5 C... Sense the irony!

-3 C in Kosovo, two hours out on foot patrol and suffered from hypothermia. That was not my day.

By the way, PJ; Dombås is still around but the level of activities have been cut seriously down. The National Guard still use it was Cold Weather Training Centre, but the NATO facilities have been moved further to the north and to the west of the country. A jolly good place to be :)

Last edited:
sunb! said:
By the way, PJ; Dombås is still around but the level of activities have been cut seriously down. The National Guard still use it was Cold Weather Training Centre, but the NATO facilities have been moved further to the north and to the west of the country. A jolly good place to be :)

Yeah, I've been to the one up in Harstad, ACT/N. It was a lot of fun.

Glad to hear the one at Dombas is still going, even if just locally. The NG was running it when we went through, they had a nice little course set up.

Back