Anyone help me out?

Cody243

Im looking into the USMC, but I can really decide which MOS i would like. I have narrowed it down to a few, but there is not that much info about them (or at least i cant find it) so i was hoping someone out there would lend me their opinion on a few of these, give me some background if they have it. thanks much! Below are a few of the MOS im considering and a bit of what i know about them.

-MP: Basically a military cop. Thats all i really know. Curious if they see combat or if they just chill at the garrison all day.

-Logistics: This sort of interests me, but i think it might get majorly boring after 4 years, but i would love to hear some opinions on this.

-Engineering: More specificially i was looking at Combat engineering, but that might be a little to intense for me (I dont particularly want to be in near death experiences every day) Or other branches of engineering my be good too. I dont know what all they do.

If it helps you any, im 18, fresh out of high school, and i scored a 97 on my ASVAB. I wouldnt mind a job that sees some fighting, but i dont want one that is going to get me stuck in any dire situations... Kinda odd request i know. Anyways, if anyone has any opinions on this, please feel free to share. Im all ears :) Thanks!

Most MP'S know have a patrolling, light infantry function and the "Cop" billets are few and far between and are being handled by DOD civilians.

Logistics covers alot of MOS's that get there, and your chances of getting assigned to Landing Support Bn (LSB) are fairly good, which means that you go in during an assault and start moving beans, bullets and band aids forward.

In the USMC or the US Army for that matter just because you are not a designated Combat Engineer, doesn't mean you aren't an engineer in combat same with the Seabees and Redhorse guys in the AF, Combat engineers are just the forward element of the Engineers.

Were I you given your criteria I'd look away from the Army and Marines and maybe look at the Air Force or Navy.

I was an 1142 (journeyman electrician) in the Corps. I had alot of fun and learned a good trade, as well as seeing a little action. Lucky for me LAI bn. was right by us, so I got to "watch" instead of participate in any real firefights. I got to do alot of neat stuff, not just work with generators. You do alot more, and are given the opportunity to try other things, as well as be a Marine.
I understand that now all engineers go to ft. wood in Missouri for school. No matter what branch you join, that's where you will go to school, just like if you want to be an mp you go to school at Lackland afb. in Texas. Good luck with whatever you decide, you 'll get out of it what you put into it.

Cody243: I have to agree with 03USMC, as much as I love and respect the Corps I'm not sure they know what to do with a person who scores a 97 on the ASVAB. I don't know if the recruiter told you but that is EXTREMELY high. If you are determined to go USMC you might look into one of the intelligence MOSs,Top Secret clearances are very valuable on the outside, but you should really join the Navy or the AF. Naturally I recommend the Navy because they have programs for really smart people that keep them from becoming terminally bored. With that ASVAB you are in the driver's seat. Make the best deal you can get.

I was an 1142 (journeyman electrician) in the Corps. I had alot of fun and learned a good trade, as well as seeing a little action. Lucky for me LAI bn. was right by us, so I got to "watch" instead of participate in any real firefights. I got to do alot of neat stuff, not just work with generators. You do alot more, and are given the opportunity to try other things, as well as be a Marine.
I understand that now all engineers go to ft. wood in Missouri for school. No matter what branch you join, that's where you will go to school, just like if you want to be an mp you go to school at Lackland afb. in Texas. Good luck with whatever you decide, you 'll get out of it what you put into it.

USMC 5800 field goes to MOS School at FT Wood now.

Like RealNavy said with your high ASVAB score your have a lot of options, talk to every service and make the best deal for yourself. Don’t limit yourself to one or two jobs, think big!

Back