Anyone care to reason a guess as to why Hitler and Hussein - Page 2


Read more about seemed to prefer to use their missiles to attack civilian targets rather than obvious military ones? If it was me I would thrown everything I could at the Nomandy beachhe

Military Medals Store

  International Military Forums > >

User Name
Password

 
June 21st, 2005   #11
Doppleganger
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by behemoth79
You guys are making things way too complicated. It was to instill terror in the people. Reducing morale can be just as effective, if not more so, than killing soldiers.
Hitler believed that the bombing of the civilian population would cow them and reduce their appetite for war, thus putting pressure on their politicians to do something about it. His viewpoint at the time was actually shared by every strategic bombing expert so on this occasion it's unfair to say that it was just another one of 'those' decisions by Hitler.


"An Emperor is subject to no-one but God and justice."

Frederick 1, Barbarossa
 
-
June 22nd, 2005   #12
ghost457
 
 
another thing that i just thought of was that in WW2 we also did things with a similar purpose. we would send 1,000+ bombers to go destroy a city that had maybe 2 war factories in it, and, frankly, if you need 1,000 bombers dropping several dozen bombs each to destroy 2 factories, thats pretty bad. we would level the entire city to show them that they shouldnt continue fighting. in some cities a "firestorm" would start, with !.000 degree winds whipping thru the city, this wasnt just to destroy a factory, we terrorized the entire populations of Germany and Japan in this manner.
 
July 22nd, 2005   #13
Damien435
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
Gimme a couple concrete examples of when you claim it is militarily sound policy to target civilians? I really am curious to this line of logic.
Here's two.

Japan August 1945.

Spain March 11, 2004.
 
July 22nd, 2005   #14
bulldogg
 
 
So... the racially motivated premeditated murder of civilians is justifiable in your mind, for what reasons?


"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck
 
July 22nd, 2005   #15
Damien435
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
So... the racially motivated premeditated murder of civilians is justifiable in your mind, for what reasons?
Wow, not even Evil Knievel could make that jump.
 
July 22nd, 2005   #16
Whispering Death
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
So... the racially motivated premeditated murder of civilians is justifiable in your mind, for what reasons?
Wow, not even Evil Knievel could make that jump.
Ha ha ha, that's a good one! I'm going to have to use that.



Bulldog, killing civilians is effective. The reason western cultures do not target civilians is because of moral and ideological reasons (i.e. we believe that wars should be fought with the minimal civilian deaths)

But civilian massacres have always worked throughout human history.

Ghengis Kahn, when he moved into an area would kill every man, woman, and child in the first city he came to. All the other cities in the region would then give up without a fight.

The way America won the war with Japan was through specifically destroying every single one of the top 100 most populated cities in the nation. American airforces had a list and they worked their way down one by one with the intention of leveling all of them.
 
July 22nd, 2005   #17
Whispering Death
 
 
On the subject of the thread, yeah, the primary reason is because they just wern't accurate enough. You have to remember that the V2 was in the first generation of "cruise missiles" ever built, so by virtue of this fact it was very innacurate. The SCUD missiles where also poorly maintained cheap old rockets.

So it's a lot easier to hit a city of 100,000 people than an army encampment of 100. Now it must be said that both Hussein and Hitler did also shoot their weapons at millitary targets with a high degree of failure.
 
July 29th, 2005   #18
bulldogg
 
 
WD, check earlier in the thread I have posted links that disprove the inaccuracy of the missles.

Racism is the ONLY thing in my mind that explains why we think it is ok to have friggin collateral damage when we blow the spit out of some Afghantzi's home and kill all those inside (oops) and the righteous indignation we express when someone blows the crap out of a bus. When the victim is white its horrible but when they dont look or think like a westerner then suddenly its back page news.
 



Tags
areas, city, kuwait, london, staging