American Civil War

CanadianCombat

Just a quick fact. I was reading the "Readers Digest" and there was an articale about Canadians in the American Civil War. Aparently 30,000 to 50,000 Canadians/British Colonials fought on both sides and 4 of them became Generals, 29 recived the Congressinonal Medal Of Honour, J.E.B. Stuart was shot by a Canadian sharpshooter, and 5,000 Canadians died.

enjoy :D

Do you have a link or at least a reference for those of us who would like to trust but verify your information?

Interesting, I was not aware of this at all. I was under the impression that the British and her colonies wished to stay out of the conflict...but my memory is hazy from the U.S. History course I took back in High School.

I've studied the Civil War extensively and I've never heard of this. In fact, Lincoln went out of his way to keep the Canadians out of it. It wasn't until after the war and Lincoln's death that the Finians made their foolish attempt to take over Canada, got their butts stomped and flared up old bad feelings between the two nations.

Sounds more like a load of manure.

Where's the link to this info? I have googled and reread histories and found NOTHING to suggest this is any more than some errant brain fart.

Wikipedia seems to support this.

"Sixty-one Canadians who were serving in the United States armed forces have been awarded the Medal of Honor, with a majority awarded for actions in the American Civil War."

And Wikipedia is as reliable a source for information as the ground hogs in Pennsylvania are as weathermen. C'mon bruv there needs to be something more reliable than wiki, any nitwit with an internet connection can post up whatever they want to on it.

From the Official U.S. Army Center for Millitary History Website.
http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/moh1.htm

BOIS, FRANK Rank and organization: Quartermaster, U.S. Navy. Entered service at: Northampton, Mass. Born: 1841, Canada. Date of issue: 24 November 1916. G.O. No.: 17, 10 July 1863. Citation: Served as quartermaster on board the U.S.S. Cincinnati during the attack on the Vicksburg batteries and at the time of her sinking, 27 May 1863. Engaging the enemy in a fierce battle, the Cincinnati, amidst an incessant fire of shot and shell, continued to fire her guns to the last, though so penetrated by enemy shellfire that her fate was sealed. Conspicuously cool in making signals throughout the battle, Bois, after all the Cincinnati's staffs had been shot away, succeeded in nailing the flag to the stump of the forestaff to enable this proud ship to go down, "with her colors nailed to the mast." '

BROWN, JOHN HARTIES Rank and organization: Captain, Company D, 12th Kentucky Infantry. Place and date: At Franklin, Tenn., 30 November 1864. Entered service at: Charlestown, Mass. Born: 1834, Canada. Date of issue: 13 February 1865. Citation: Capture of flag.

BUCKLEY, DENIS Rank and organization: Private, Company G, 136th New York Infantry. Place and date: At Peach Tree Creek, Ga., 20 July 1864. Entered service at: Avon, N.Y. Birth: Canada. Date of issue: 7 April 1865. Citation: Capture of flag of 31st Mississippi (C.S.A.).

CAYER, OVILA Rank and organization: Sergeant, Company A, 14th U.S. Volunteers. Place and date: At Weldon Railroad, Va., 19 August 1864. Entered service at:------. Birth: Canada. Date of issue: 15 February 1867. Citation: Commanded the regiment, all the officers being disabled.

CHAPUT, LOUIS G. Rank and organization: Landsman, U.S. Navy. Born: 1845, Canada. Accredited to: New York. G.O. No.: 45, 31 December 1864. Citation: On board the U.S.S. Lackawanna during successful attacks against Fort Morgan, rebel gunboats and the rebel ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Severely wounded, Chaput remained at his gun until relieved, reported to the surgeon and returned to his gun until the action was over. He was then carried below following the action which resulted in the capture of the prize ram Tennessee and in destruction of batteries at Fort Morgan.

DODD, ROBERT F. Rank and organization: Private, Company E, 27th Michigan Infantry. Place and date: At Petersburg, Va., 30 July 1864. Entered service at: Hantramck, Mich. Born: 1844, Canada. Date of issue: 27 July 1896. Citation: While acting as orderly, voluntarily assisted to carry off the wounded from the ground in front of the crater while exposed to a heavy fire.

DODDS, EDWARD E. Rank and organization: Sergeant, Company C, 21st New York Cavalry. Place and date: At Ashbys Gap, Va., 19 July 1864. Entered service at: Rochester, N.Y. Birth: Canada. Date of issue: 11 June 1896. Citation: At great personal risk rescued his wounded captain and carried him from the field to a place of safety.

FITZPATRICK, THOMAS Rank and organization: Coxswain, U.S. Navy. Born: 1837, Canada. G.O. No.: 45, 31 December 1864. Citation: As captain of the No. 1 gun on board the flagship U.S.S. Hartford, during action against rebel gunboats, the ram Tennessee and Fort Morgan in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Although struck several times in the face by splinters, and with his gun disabled when a shell burst between the 2 forward 9-inch guns, killing and wounding 15 men, Fitzpatrick, within a few minutes, had the gun in working order again with new track, breeching and side tackle, had sent the wounded below, cleared the area of other casualties, and was fighting his gun as before. He served as an inspiration to the members of his crew and contributed to the success of the action in which the Tennessee was captured.

GILMORE, JOHN C. Rank and organization: Major, 16th New York Infantry. Place and date: At Salem Heights, Va., 3 May 1863. Entered service at: Potsdam, N.Y. Birth: Canada. Date of issue: 10 October 1892. Citation: Seized the colors of his regiment and gallantly rallied his men under a very severe fire.

HAGERTY, ASEL Rank and organization: Private, Company A, 61st New York Infantry. Place and date: At Sailors Creek, Va., 6 April 1865. Entered service at:------. Birth: Canada, Date of issue: 10 May 1865. Citation: Capture of flag.

HIGGINS, THOMAS J. Rank and organization: Sergeant, Company D, 99th Illinois Infantry. Place and date: At Vicksburg, Miss., 22 May 1863. Entered service at: Barry, Pike County, Ill. Birth: Canada. Date of issue: 1 April 1898. Citation: When his regiment fell back in the assault, repulsed, this soldier continued to advance and planted the flag on the parapet, where he was captured by the enemy.

HOUGHTON, GEORGE L. Rank and organization: Private, Company D, 104th Illinois Infantry. Place and date: At Elk River, Tenn., 2 July 1863. Entered service at: Brookfield, Cook County, Ill. Birth: Canada. Date of issue: 27 March 1900. Citation: Voluntarily joined a small party that, under a heavy fire, captured a stockade and saved the bridge.

MclNTOSH, JAMES Rank and organization: Captain of the Top, U.S. Navy. Born: 1833, Canada. Accredited to: New York. G.O. No.: 45, 31 December 1864. Citation: On board the U.S.S. Richmond during action against rebel forts and gunboats and with the ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Despite damage to his ship and the loss of several men on board as enemy fire raked her decks, Mclntosh performed his duties with skill and courage throughout the prolonged battle which resulted in the surrender of the rebel ram Tennessee and in the successful attacks carried out on Fort Morgan.

McMAHON, MARTIN T. Rank and organization: Captain, and aide_de_camp U.S. Volunteers Place and date: At White Oak Swamp, Va., 30 June i862. Entered service at: California. Born: 21 March 1838, Canada. Date of issue: 10 March 1891. Citation: Under fire of the enemy, successfully destroyed a valuable train that had been abandoned and prevented it from falling into the hands of the enemy.

McVEANE, JOHN P.
Rank and organization: Corporal, Company D, 49th New York Infantry. Place and date: At Fredericksburg Heights, Va., 4 May 1863. Entered service at: Buffalo, N.Y. Birth: Canada. Date of issue: 21 September 1870. Citation: Shot a Confederate color bearer and seized the flag; also approached, alone, a barn between the lines and demanded and received the surrender of a number of the enemy therein.

MURPHY, JAMES T. Rank and organization: Private, Company L, 1st Connecticut Artillery. Place and date: At Petersburg, Va., 25 March 1865. Entered service at: New Haven, Conn. Birth: Canada. Date of issue: 29 October 1886. Citation: A piece of artillery having been silenced by the enemy, this soldier voluntarily ass1sted in working the piece, conducting himself throughout the engagement in a gallant and fearless manner.

O'CONNOR, ALBERT Rank and organization: Sergeant, Company A, 7th Wisconsin Infantry. Place and date: At Gravelly Run, Va., 31 March and 1 April 1865. Entered service at: West Point Township, Columbia County, Wis. Birth: Canada. Date of issue: Unknown. Citation: On 31 March 1865, with a comrade, recaptured a Union officer from a detachment of 9 Confederates, capturing 3 of the detachment and dispersing the remainder, and on 1 April 1865, seized a stand of Confederate colors, killing a Confederate officer in a hand_to_hand contest over the colors and retaining the colors until surrounded by Confederates and compelled to relinquish them.

PICKLE, ALONZO H. Rank and organization: Sergeant, Company B, 1st Battalion Minnesota Infantry. Place and date: At Deep Bottom, Va., 14 August 1864. Entered service at: Dover, Minn. Birth: Canada. Date of issue: 12 June 1895. Citation: At the risk of his life, voluntarily went to the assistance of a wounded officer Iying close to the enemy's lines and, under fire carried him to a place of safety.

POWERS, WESLEY J. Rank and organization: Corporal, Company F, 147th Illinois Infantry. Place and date: At Oostanaula, Ga., 3 April 1865. Entered service at: Virgil, Ill. Birth: Canada. Date of issue: 24 October 1895. Citation: Voluntarily swam the river under heavy fire and secured a ferryboat, by means of which the command crossed.

RICH, CARLOS H. Rank and organization: First Sergeant, Company K, 4th Vermont Infantry. Place and date: At Wilderness, Va., 5 May 1864. Entered service at: Northfield, Mass. Birth: Canada. Date of issue: 4 January 1895. Citation: Saved the life of an officer.

SCOTT, ALEXANDER Rank and organization: Corporal, Company D, 10th Vermont Infantry. Place and date: At Monocacy, Md., 9 July 1864. Entered service at: Winooski, Vt. Birth: Canada. Date of issue: 28 September 1897. Citation: Under a very heavy fire of the enemy saved the national flag of his regiment from capture.

SHIVERS, JOHN Rank and organization: Private, U.S. Marine Corps. Born: 1830 Canada. Accredited to: New Jersey. G.O. No.. 59, 22 June 1865. Citation: On board the U.S.S. Minnesota, in the assault on Fort Fisher, 15 January 1865. Landing on the beach with the assaulting party from his ship, Pvt. Shivers advanced to the top of the sandhill and partly through the breach in the palisades despite enemy fire which killed or wounded many officers and men. When more than two_thirds of the men became seized with panic and retreated on the run, he remained with the party until dark when it came safely away, bringing its wounded, its arms and its colors.

YOUNG, BENJAMIN F. Rank and organization: Corporal, Company I, 1st Michigan Sharpshooters. Place and date: At Petersburg, Va., 17 June 1864. Entered service at: Canada. Born: 1844, Canada. Date of issue: % December 1864. Citation: Capture of flag of 35th North Carolina Infantry (C.S.A.).

I got my info from the November 2005 issue of Readers Digest, and i know for a bloody fact they cant just type some bullsh*t up and say its true. The articale was about 10-15 pages. I think Whispering Death helped to proove my statement. Some of you dont believe me or just dont want to believe me but I know the facts so believe what you want.

no they where not mercs. most were basicly tricked by recruters getting them drunk or using prostitues, some were even druged with opium or cloriphorme. but others just voluntered.

I'll buy it with the stipulation that the same can be said about Germans, French, Brit's, Italians, Irish, Poles, heck the CS Dept of the Trans-Mississippi had a regiment of Texas Cavalry made up of Mexicans.

The thing you need to remember is the muster rolls of most units Confederate and Federal contained a good many foreign born soliders.The CS and US Navies and Marine Corps were made up of a majority of Foreign born Sailors and Marines.

I dont think ALL of these were tricked... some might have been mercs, say like Germans for example, just like when England used the German mercs during the war of independence..

MightyMacbeth said:
I dont think ALL of these were tricked... some might have been mercs, say like Germans for example, just like when England used the German mercs during the war of independence..

And I don't believe all the Candians were "tricked". First you have to understand the demographics of the population of the time, how units were raised at the time and exactly what a "Merc" is.

Many Regiments were raised especially in the North from immigrant nieghborhoods. resulting in large numbers of Foriegn born troops. The Irish Brigade, The heavily German Regiments under Franz Siegal "I goes to fight mitt Siegal" Regiments raised in the Northwest (Minnesota,Wisconsin, Michigan.) That were heavily Scandavian.

The Navies of the time recruited by the ship. A man could go to any ship and enlist in the Navy regardless of his nationality. It would be like the Enterprise docking in Rota Spain today and Spainards enlisting on the dock. The CSS Alabama the Souths most prolific commerce raider was crewed by a mainly British Crew. Navies of the day also included the crew in cuts of the prize money

The US of the time especially the North had far more Foreign born people than Native born.Couple this with persons who enlisted for bounties, and persons who enlisted as subsitutes.

As far as Merc's. With what the Union Army was paying and what the CS Army was paying about 18 dollars a month for a Private. Don't see many enlisting as .Mercs.

Back