Al Zarqawi's family wants body back

SNowblind

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyid=2006-06-09T161741Z_01_L09261331_RTRUKOT_0_TEXT0.xml&WTmodLoc=NewsArt-L1-RelatedNews-2

By Suleiman al-Khalidi
ZARQA, Jordan (Reuters) - The family of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi has asked the United States to hand over the body of the Jordanian Islamist leader for burial according to Muslim tradition, his brother said on Friday.
For Mohammed Fadhil al-Khalayleh, 40, returning the body of his younger brother, who died in a U-S. air strike on Wednesday night, was a matter of dignity and right. "If they have any remaining respect for our religion then they should give us the body of martyr Abu Musab, this is our right as a family," said Mohammed at a wake organized by the family in the working class city of Zarqa, 25 km (16 miles) northeast of Amman.

Jordan, which brands Zarqawi as a top terrorist who sought to destabilize the kingdom, may accept that the body be handed over to the family for burial out of humanitarian considerations and in deference to Muslim tradition, political sources say.
Khalayleh, the eldest son in a family of 10 who last saw his brother before he left Jordan in 2000 to become a Muslim fighter in Afghanistan, led family elders in receiving relatives and friends in what they billed as Abu Musab's wedding party.
"I am very proud...he was a man who fought for God's sake in Afghanistan and Iraq and asked for martyrdom and God gave it to him," said Khalayleh who offered visitors sweets to signify joy instead of the traditional bitter coffee signifying sorrow.
The Jordanian, who was behind some of the most spectacular suicide bombings in Iraq and was blamed for videotaped beheadings of some foreign hostages, had come to symbolize the Islamic insurgency against U.S.-led forces occupying Iraq. Viewed by his opponents as a ruthless murderer behind some of the most deadly attacks in Iraq, he is celebrated as a cult figure in the town where he grew up before leaving for Afghanistan and Iraq
Right......pathetic

"If they have any remaining respect for our religion then they should give us the body of martyr Abu Musab, this is our right as a family,"

well if you, Mohammed Fadhil al-Khalayleh, had any respect for the true meaning of your religion, you would have made sure this arsehole of a human being was put behind bars or underground many years ago.

aw Damnit, I forgot, this was news last year.
Zarqawi's family publicly denounced him last year, they problably really do want his body back....

Send the body to his family and wait for Bin Laden to come and show some respect. Sound good? :sniper:

Do not feed the fire. He's dead. Only harm can come from not returning the body, it would play right into the hands of people trying to portray us as infidels who respect nothing. Give them the body he can't hurt anyone anymore but pissing off more muslims will.

Yea, I see where you're coming form bulldogg, which reminds me of that PSYOP nightmare in a-stan when they desecrated those Taliban bodies to draw their living cohorts into the open. Probably exacerbated the situation 200%.

Part of me is tempted to suggest that they send back the body headless, and leave the head in a plastic bag on an Iraqi city street.

But we should treat him better than he treated his victims, because we are better.

Well, the underlying thing is that our side (the American and Iraqi government's side) needs to maintain moral superiority. The man's family denounced him, but essentially they are asking, "We know that our son was a monster, but he is still our son and we'd like to at least give him a proper burial." Let the terrorist groups in Iraq be the monsterous and amoral people that they are. Let them act like spoiled children. We have absolutely no need to behave like them. Ultimately, I would say that we have the Iraqi government make the decision on this one though.

Back