Airborne IED detection?

hawky94

The Brit Pack (probationer)
Hi all,

I had a thought this morning about a technology... I'm unsure as to whether it is already out there, but if not, then it's something I'd like your opinions on.

At it's most basic, it is a unmanned aerial vehicle which has the ability to detect IEDs, theoretically using the same technology as the man on the ground with the handheld device.

Let me know what you all think?

Thanks, hawky.

You mean like the Airborne Surveillance, Target Acquisition and Minefield Detection System (ASTAMIDS) or Airborne, Wide Area Persistent Surveillance System (AWAPSS) or Compact Airborne Acoustic Device (CAAD) or............

There are several systems out there.
The best defense is your eyes and your experience and a bit of sixth sense. Combined with a dog snout, you have a strong team. But nothing in life is certain.

Hi all,

I had a thought this morning about a technology... I'm unsure as to whether it is already out there, but if not, then it's something I'd like your opinions on.

At it's most basic, it is a unmanned aerial vehicle which has the ability to detect IEDs, theoretically using the same technology as the man on the ground with the handheld device.

Let me know what you all think?

Thanks, hawky.

Aircraft that deal in IED work at the present time are for the most part highly classified.

I will point out that Airborne Detonation of IEDs is the way to go.

FAE (Fuel Air Explosive) used to be the tool for this function back before the new wars in OIF and OEF.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i20zvZ-3MMw"]BLU-96 Fuel-Air Explosive Bomb - YouTube[/ame]

In a way there may be detection after the fact because once the IED detonates Detection of the IED may come from the blast of the Detonation.

If there was a hand-held device that found IEDs, well, that would be a rather nice took to have, a very nice took to have on hand as a matter of fact.

And still needing someone on the ground to RSP IEDs after any would-be Airborne Unit found a device would be depressing, to say the least.

Seeing how the Drone Drivers many miles removed from the battlefield would get all the credit for finding the thing in the first place, but EOD would still do all the work after the find.

Last edited:
Back