ADF Army; Basic and other questions.

Intoxicated_Ant

Hi guys i have one or two questions about the ADF, Army basic training. I want to know a little about the swimming component of the basic training. My enlistment papers say that in the first week of training we have a swimming test, the test comprises of a 2 minute tread water and a 30m swim in clothes. I just want to know if you are expected to be able to do this without any instruction, my main concern is the tread water, I know i can easily do the 30m swim, but i haven't trud water in years. I know the easy answer is just to go out and practice any way, which i will do, but i just wanted to know either way (I know the navy gives swimming lessons, but thats the navy).

Also i heard from someone that even though you might enlist for Communications Operator, which is what I'm doing, during training they might 'ask' you to do something else, is this true?

My last question, for the time being, stems from some conflicting information i read on the net, For a Communications Operator 266, when posted are they just as likely to go on a patrol with a unit then stay at some form of command post?

Thanks to anyone who can help shed some light on my questions.

Also i heard from someone that even though you might enlist for Communications Operator, which is what I'm doing, during training they might 'ask' you to do something else, is this true?

Yes they might. Remember when you enlisted you had to fill out a form with your 3 preferences? You might get any of them. You're not a sure thing for the job you think you're going for.

My last question, for the time being, stems from some conflicting information i read on the net, For a Communications Operator 266, when posted are they just as likely to go on a patrol with a unit then stay at some form of command post?

Depends. You could end up on patrol with the digs.... if you end at 141 Sq (I think it is anyway). But you could end up in the electronic warfare center or any other posting like that and you might end up driving a desk all day. But they are the breaks. It's the same with each corp.

AussieNick said:
Yes they might. Remember when you enlisted you had to fill out a form with your 3 preferences? You might get any of them. You're not a sure thing for the job you think you're going for.

Depends. You could end up on patrol with the digs.... if you end at 141 Sq (I think it is anyway). But you could end up in the electronic warfare center or any other posting like that and you might end up driving a desk all day. But they are the breaks. It's the same with each corp.

Okay thanks for the infor AussieNick, I'm actully hopping i will get to do everything from deskwork to patrols as a signalman.

There are no instructions. They tell you to get in and go on the whistle, you swim your 30 metres and then they tell you to tread water for 2 minutes.

Wallabies said:
There are no instructions. They tell you to get in and go on the whistle, you swim your 30 metres and then they tell you to tread water for 2 minutes.

Thanks Wallabies, thats good to know.:idea:

As this is about Basic and other questions, i thought i mite ask something.

About the 3 preferences, if i were to aply for Rifleman, is it more likely they would take me for Rifleman then anything else, being the fact that it's a non-technical job?

Im only interested in 'Combat & Security' roles, so i would hate to end up doing something else.

As far as i know, if Rifleman is your first preference you should get it. The only reason you might get something else is if there are no positions, which isn't very likely or if you fail some form of test, like the ones you did, or will do on your JOES day.

When i first applied i tried for Fire Fighter but couldn't get that as i didn't do well enough on the technical test. So i asked them what u could do, which was pretty much anything else other then Fire Fighter and Combat Engineer, in then end i chose Communications Operator (which i now feel is the best job) and i should be leaving in February sometime.- Good luck

According to my enlistment papers, everyone who is going to Kapooka, as in General Entry, does the swimming test in the first week of Basic Training, that is a 30meter swim and a 2 min tread water which i believe is in uniform. I find the fact that they don't apparently offer instruction on swimming a bit strange as 1)I know many people put off joining the army because they arn't strong swimmers or couldn't swim. And 2) The Navy offers it so why not the army?
Personally i know i have to do some swimming training before heading off. I'd hate to finally get there just to have to leave in the first week because i wasn't a strong swimmer.

They are short by a large amount on intake, and they need anothe 1500 privates. Sign up as a rifleman, and unless you do something super-stupid you will get it (but then again this is coming from somebody who signed up as a private then found himself at Duntroon so who knows where you'll go)

AussieNick said:
They are short by a large amount on intake, and they need anothe 1500 privates. Sign up as a rifleman, and unless you do something super-stupid you will get it (but then again this is coming from somebody who signed up as a private then found himself at Duntroon so who knows where you'll go)

How'd you end up in officer training when you signed up to be a rifleman?

im new and have a question im only sixteen and am thinking of joining the army but am having some dificulty in decideing on what part to enlist in what would be the best thing for some one of my age who is thinking of doing a term of service?

can any one tell me what kind of an op you need for the officers school in the army or any special things for the sas or any information on them? and how much does the combat fatuiges weigh when they are soaked in water?

what is the youngest age that someone can join the army/army reserves?

how long would it take to raise to a high comanding marine/soldier that actually goes on missions and stuff? and what is it is the highest a gunnerey sargent?

Last edited by a moderator:
The swim test is so easy it is a joke - so don't stress. Worst case is you fail/panic then you get remedial PT. You will not be thrown out or sent home, they will get you up to a pass standard. Put some time in the pool now though, as infantry has a swim test too - and its a bit harder.

mahon said:
The swim test is so easy it is a joke - so don't stress. Worst case is you fail/panic then you get remedial PT. You will not be thrown out or sent home, they will get you up to a pass standard. Put some time in the pool now though, as infantry has a swim test too - and its a bit harder.

Hey well that's good to know. Heh i was nearly thrown in a swimming pool while in my fire uniform a week or so ago, i was tempted to let them do it to see how long i could stay afloat while treading water in such heavy clothing, but i decided against it in the end. I have been practicing everything and i know by time June comes (my enlistment date) i'll be able to do said swim test.:p

Back