academic titles in armed forces

Jäger

Some friends of mine recently had a discussion about the usage of academic titles in formal letters and speech. They didn’t come to a conclusion so they asked me. I know how academic titles are used in the German army and so I told them, but now I am interested myself how someone with an academic title and a military rank is addressed correctly in other countries.

I would be thankful for any answer.

Jäger

Last edited:
I'm sure one of the other guys here will correct me if I'm wrong...

In Australia, academic titles are not used in conjunction with military titles as far as I know. The only post-nominals (acronyms after someone's name) are directly related to Awards that person has earned, not their academic qualifications.

Even Medical Officers etc who have medical or other qualifications are referred to by their rank, or if you're on equal social and disciplinary terms with them, their first name or nickname ;)

There would no doubt be civil servants who work for the Department of Defence who have academic titles, and in those instances they would be applied because they're civilians not part of the ADF.

Can you give an example Jäger?

OK, for example if someone is promoted or awarded a medal

"Im Namen der Bundesrepublik Deutschland verleihe/ernenne ich hiermit [rank] [name] ..."

in english:

"In the name of the Federal Republik of Germany I award/promote [rank] [Name]..."

or the salutation in a formal letter:

"Dear [rank] [name]"

Do you use on such occasions the academic titel too or is it cut out?

Thanks for answering anyway.

Oh, when I saw "academic", I thought you were speaking about their education ranks like Doctor, PhD, Master degree etc...

You mean the military rank...

Well in this link:
http://www.ambafrance-it.org/spip.php?article1513

You have the speech of the ambassador of France (I believe in Italy) when he gave the "médaille militaire" (military medal) to the "adjudant-chef Hubert Levent". Following google traduction, adjudant-chef is the equivalent of CWO (chief warrant officer).

And he starts his speech with:
Il est rare qu’une Médaille militaire soit remise en ces lieux solennels. C’est peut-être la première fois.
J’ai accepté de remettre la médaille militaire à l’Adjudant-Chef Levent pour deux raisons. Tout d’abord en raison même de ses qualités éminentes sur lesquelles je reviendrai, mais aussi parce que l’un de vos aïeux, Edmond Le Blanc, a été le premier Directeur de l’Ecole française de Rome de 1883. Son souvenir est conservé dans les archives familiales.
The part I highlighted means:
I accepted to deliver the military medal to the CWO Levent (his family name) for two reasons... etc...

So, he used this partern: [rank] [family name].

Does it answer your question?

edit:

Later in his speech he says:
Aujourd’hui c’est l’adjudant - chef Hubert Levent qui est honoré.
it means:
Today, it's the CWO Hubert Levent who is honored..."
So, [Rank] then [first name] then [last/family name]

So I think that there is no written rule... Just that we cant call him "sir Levent" or "Monsieur Levent", as his a military officer and we rather use his rank.

And it's too familiar to use his name (first name)... So we use, out of respect, his last/family name.

Last edited:
Oh, when I saw "academic", I thought you were speaking about their education ranks like Doctor, PhD, Master degree etc...

That was actually what i meant. I wanted to know if other armys use the academic title (like Dr./PhD/Prof. ...) on such occations or not.

Maybe somthing like "Dear General Dr. Superman..."

And if you use it, where do you put it? Infront or behind the Rank or somewhere else.

I'm sorry if I missled you, but I did not have many occations for practicing my english expression in the last years.

Oh...

In that case, I dont know if I can help you...

Your english is fine, not my first language neither.

But here is what I've found:
http://readme.readmedia.com/Seventh-Regiment-Honors-Fighting-Doctor-Medal-of-Honor-Recipient/2043728

NEW YORK (02/11/2011)(readMedia)-- Historian Thomas Fleming, author of noted histories of the American Revolution and historical novels, will join members of The Veterans of the Seventh Regiment Sunday, Feb.13 to honor a regiment member, Army doctor Col. Bernard Irwin , who won a Medal of Honor for heroism against Apache Indian chief Cochise in 1861.

I let you pull the necessary conclusions from that mate.

Thanks anyway LeMask.

And thanks for the information Botak. That was kinda what I expected.

Last edited:
In the US Armed Forces academic titles are not used in addressing the individual. It's Colonel Smith, not Colonel Doctor Smith. Many Officers and Enlisted men have advanced degrees and in a conference type situation during an introduction these might be mentioned as part of the member's CV, but not in strictly military settings.

Back