Reading post 61349 in main thread: Why Couldnt the US win the Viet Nam conflict?
November 14th, 2004  
DTop

Krill, were you there? I was and the tactics were fine for the most part. There was nothing more demoralizing to the enemy that to wake up one morning and find an American firebase smack in the middle of his back yard.
Just for clarification, the Viet Cong were not a problem my friend. The Viet Cong were not even there. I saw NVA and Chinese but no VC, none.
The thing that kept this otherwise beaten enemy going was the opposition to war in the U.S., nothing else. That's what kept the peace talks stalled and that's what kept people dying. In all the years of America's involvement, the communist supplied and trained invaders from the north never won a single major battle against the American forces even though we were quite limited in our levels of response and the number of troops we were sent.
You talk about patrolling in enemy territory? Where else would you patrol? That made no sense to me.

I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which in truth, they are.
Gen. W.T. Sherman

Veterans Advantage, Inc.

(c)02-14 Military-Quotes.com - Post # 61349