Originally Posted by Marinerhodes
I was relating more to the fact that the crime rate dropped not because of restrictive gun laws but because there was more LEO out there to counteract the crime.
The NYC crime plummet was due to a combination of many factors not just one. These would include:
1. A ban on handguns within city limits.
2. A hiring of 25000 new NYPD officers.
3. The Reorganization of the multiple NY Police Forces into a single NYPD.
4. Guliani's idea to aggressively attack minor misdemeanors first (like grafitti, loitering, etc). The idea that little criminals don't grow up to become big ones.
5. Community Watch programs/Anti Gang Training for schools.
6. The creation of a Police anti-gang taskforce to deal with the hardened elements.
So, I cannot say that banning handguns was the miracle cure-all. But it did help. I think Washington DC problem is that they only went part of the way, they banned the guns without doing the rest.