3 Cheers and a Broadside -

Read more about

International Military Forums > >
User Name
Password

July 24th, 2005   #1
Duty Honor Country

3 Cheers and a Broadside info

I have been doing some reading in the book The Spirit of Seventy-Six. The book is a collection of letters and diary entries from those who fought on both sides of the American Revolution.

In reading the section on naval engagements, I noticed an interesting fact practiced by both sides. When an enemy ship attacked, the other ship would respond in 3 cheers from the crew and a broadside. After that, the battle would go until victory is rewarded.

I have no idea where 3 cheers and a broadside tradition came from. Any naval gurus feel like filling me in on this?

SGT Doody

"The best form of taking care of troops is first-class training, for this saves unnecessary casualties." Erwin Rommel

--
September 22nd, 2005   #2
mmarsh

After a little difficulty I found it.

I had heard it before but mistakenly thought originally it came from Heritio Nelson. When I went to double check it turns out I was totally wrong.

The phrase comes from an engagement from the USS Trumball (the 2nd ship) and an 32-Gun English Privateer WATT.

Apperently the WATT had challenged the USS TRUMBALL idenitity and when she failed to respond the capitan of the WATT have 3 cheers to the Cross of Saint George flag (England) and open fired.

You can read about the engagement where I found it...

http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/t/trumbull.htm

September 23rd, 2005   #3
03USMC

I've also read that it was 3 cheers for King and Country in the RN.

Sgt. Rafael Peralta ,United States Marine Corps
Company A, 1st Bn, 3rd Marine Regt, 3rd Marine Divison

We will never forget your valor and sacrifice.

Semper Fi !

March 1st, 2006   #4
Duty Honor Country

thanks for the heads up gents

Tags
broadside, cheers, naval, reading, ship