19 Delta -

Read more about Hey guys i just enlisted this past week into the U.S army, my Mos is 19 Delta : Cavalry Scout. i leave for basic on may 27th for Ft. Knox. Any advice would be appreciated

Military Medals Store

International Military Forums > >

User Name
Password

September 18th, 2009   #1
Pvt.Shaw

19 Delta info

Hey guys i just enlisted this past week into the U.S army, my Mos is 19 Delta : Cavalry Scout. i leave for basic on may 27th for Ft. Knox.

Any advice would be appreciated

-
AVG Advent calendar: daily offers
September 18th, 2009   #2
Big_Z

Google these topics.

Grid recon
Area recon
Zone recon
Route recon
Route clasification <-- this is a huge one. Learn the formulas

Bounding overwatch and overwatch missions.

Keep your mouth shut and ears open. You will be fine.

Infantry leads......

Last edited by Big_Z; September 19th, 2009 at 05:15..

September 18th, 2009   #3
John Lydon

Welcome to the family. My advice would be to never volunteer for anything, do EXACTLY what your told, and enjoy the experiance. If you follow those things, basic will be a breeze. Oh, and don't drink milk before getting gassed.

September 18th, 2009   #4
Pvt.Shaw

Thanks guys

September 20th, 2009   #5
Spartacus

Be a quiet professional. Master your job, but dont need to brag about it.

Qui tacet consentire.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
Nec Aspera Terrent.
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.

September 23rd, 2009   #6
19kilo30K4

5/15 Cav is no joke. It's not going to be easy, but then again if it was easy would you trust everyone who made it through? Tankers (like me) give scouts a hard time, but we're 2 sides of the same coin. I've spent the majority of my time in the Army in scout oriented units (3rd ACR, 1/4 CAV, 1/7 CAV) and have done some time in a scout Bradley as well. It's a lot of fun at times, but it's got down sides as well. May is a great time to head to Knox (the winters there are brutal!). Check out the Patton museum before you leave Knox, it's pretty amazing if you're into tanks (I'm a tank nut). I'd say welcome to the Armor Branch, but that should wait till you pass training. Enjoy! If you're lucky, you'll get Ft Hood and then maybe you can recon for my tank someday

Gunner COAX troops! Fire and adjust!

September 27th, 2009   #7
Hook160th

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lydon
Welcome to the family. My advice would be to never volunteer for anything, do EXACTLY what your told, and enjoy the experiance. If you follow those things, basic will be a breeze. Oh, and don't drink milk before getting gassed.

They fed us "Spanish beef patties" before gassing us. The floor of the gas chamber was pretty messy indeed.

September 28th, 2009   #8
John Lydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook160th
They fed us "Spanish beef patties" before gassing us. The floor of the gas chamber was pretty messy indeed.
Our chamber floor looked like a jigsaw puzzle made out of creamed corn! Ahhh.... memories.

September 28th, 2009   #9
Big_Z

Let me expand on what I said. Do not go into basic claiming you know ANYTHING. Having a heads up on these topics will make you more confident and more comfortable when the tasks arises. Keep an open mind and play stupid, do not draw any unwanted attention to yourself. Check the Knox armor site for info. Simply keep the information in the back of your head and take it as being incorrect, learn it exactly how the drills teach it.

Unlike infantry where its all about reacting to fire and movement to contact. Scouts are meant to sit back and think, most importantly to use their senses. You could have 5 million dollars worth of gear on a truck and you will not be reconing **** if you don't have the attention to detail and brain power to use it. Shoot a single round as a scout and you failed your mission. With any Combat MOS you need situational awareness and alertness. But Scouts need to take it up a notch.

You can pm me if you have any questions.

Scouts out

Last edited by Big_Z; September 29th, 2009 at 07:30..

November 4th, 2011   #10
NVP

enlisting info

I am enlisting in the army with mos of 19 delta, i was wondering if anyone can give me a little better insight other than what i have been reading on Cav scouts? maybe personal experiences or missions. thanks

Tags
27th, basic, delta, knox, leave