19 Delta

Pvt.Shaw

Hey guys i just enlisted this past week into the U.S army, my Mos is 19 Delta : Cavalry Scout. i leave for basic on may 27th for Ft. Knox.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Google these topics.

Grid recon
Area recon
Zone recon
Route recon
Route clasification <-- this is a huge one. Learn the formulas

Bounding overwatch and overwatch missions.

Keep your mouth shut and ears open. You will be fine.

Last edited:
Welcome to the family. My advice would be to never volunteer for anything, do EXACTLY what your told, and enjoy the experiance. If you follow those things, basic will be a breeze. Oh, and don't drink milk before getting gassed.

5/15 Cav is no joke. It's not going to be easy, but then again if it was easy would you trust everyone who made it through? Tankers (like me) give scouts a hard time, but we're 2 sides of the same coin. I've spent the majority of my time in the Army in scout oriented units (3rd ACR, 1/4 CAV, 1/7 CAV) and have done some time in a scout Bradley as well. It's a lot of fun at times, but it's got down sides as well. May is a great time to head to Knox (the winters there are brutal!). Check out the Patton museum before you leave Knox, it's pretty amazing if you're into tanks (I'm a tank nut). I'd say welcome to the Armor Branch, but that should wait till you pass training. Enjoy! If you're lucky, you'll get Ft Hood and then maybe you can recon for my tank someday :)

Welcome to the family. My advice would be to never volunteer for anything, do EXACTLY what your told, and enjoy the experiance. If you follow those things, basic will be a breeze. Oh, and don't drink milk before getting gassed.

They fed us "Spanish beef patties" before gassing us. The floor of the gas chamber was pretty messy indeed.

Let me expand on what I said. Do not go into basic claiming you know ANYTHING. Having a heads up on these topics will make you more confident and more comfortable when the tasks arises. Keep an open mind and play stupid, do not draw any unwanted attention to yourself. Check the Knox armor site for info. Simply keep the information in the back of your head and take it as being incorrect, learn it exactly how the drills teach it.

Unlike infantry where its all about reacting to fire and movement to contact. Scouts are meant to sit back and think, most importantly to use their senses. You could have 5 million dollars worth of gear on a truck and you will not be reconing **** if you don't have the attention to detail and brain power to use it. Shoot a single round as a scout and you failed your mission. With any Combat MOS you need situational awareness and alertness. But Scouts need to take it up a notch.

You can pm me if you have any questions.

Scouts out

Last edited:
enlisting

I am enlisting in the army with mos of 19 delta, i was wondering if anyone can give me a little better insight other than what i have been reading on Cav scouts? maybe personal experiences or missions. thanks

I don´t understand these questions from young people today. Are you enlisting without knowing what you're getting into?

You really can´t use personal experiences for anything until you have been in the job for a while. Just be open, positive and committed. Then the U.S. Army will teach you what you need to know.

I don´t understand these questions from young people today. Are you enlisting without knowing what you're getting into?

You really can´t use personal experiences for anything until you have been in the job for a while. Just be open, positive and committed. Then the U.S. Army will teach you what you need to know.

I don't know how recruitment is in the US or the UK but over here (AUS) the first half of the process is privatized. As such the recruiters often seem to expect that you know about more about the job than is publicly available but once you arrive at the second half of the recruitment and assessment process they become more realistic as the actual defence force undertakes this part... where as the privatized part of the system is more suited for corporate recruitment and are interested in how your previous experience as a sales assistant, laborer, and fire fighter will make you a better Artillery forward observer and how these experiences have prepared you for a job that you and the recruiter don't properly understand because neither of you have actually done it before.

whereas the defence side wants to know if your fit enough, smart enough, and have the right attitude for the job. Unfortunately to get to the serious stages of the recruitment you have to play their games so they get their commission from the government for their "services"...

I really hope that the US never goes done the Defence Force Recruiting inc line....

but as for you prospective 19 delta's good luck and be thankful you dont have to put up with DFR in australia =)

*RANT OVER*

In the early ‘80’s I served in Orlando, FL, with a civilian US Army Recruiter. I believe he was under contract and he primarily recruited for the Reserves.

I don’t think they still us civilians. I could see using retired or ex military on recruiting, freeing regular troops. I know my tour was probably the worst 3 ½ years of my career.

Don't go in thinking you know it all, cause trust me...your DI's will prove you wrong. Do what you're told without whining or bitching. Make the most out of it. Don't don't milk before the gas chamber and only eat what you should. Not to much. Do not be a buddy ****er/ receive he "blue falcon award " you don't want that either. Make the most outta this experice cause few people qualify to do the things that are in store for you. Enjoy it and make it last. But pay attention and learn all you can while you have the time. This is a veteran 19D talking to a newbie. Good luck and think you for putting your life ok n the line for my family and yours ss I have. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

SCOUTS OUT!
HOOAh
19D SPC. Brisbin.
Delta 5/15
HHC 2/8 1st CAV

Back